Gibson Brands Forums

L-5 CES

David M

Hi there,

It should come with Gibson L5 brand strings, with a wound G, not sure, but I think they'll be 11s. I like d'addarrio 12-54s on my ES-5 switchmaster, heavy gauge but with a plain G, and not flats. Given its a L-5, your probably playing jazz, so maybe flats? I think you need to give some indication what sound your going for.

Cheers,

Clayfingers

Hi,

Really more interested if any one knew what it shipped with? I have .11s around but I think they are .12s from the factory from the look. I am going to try GHS for now until I order the Gibson string. I play a bit of everything from Christian genre to jazz. I just love the sound of the OEM strings.

Thanks for the response....

Dave

Hi there,

It should come with Gibson L5 brand strings, with a wound G, not sure, but I think they'll be 11s. I like d'addarrio 12-54s on my ES-5 switchmaster, heavy gauge but with a plain G, and not flats. Given its a L-5, your probably playing jazz, so maybe flats? I think you need to give some indication what sound your going for.

Cheers,

Clayfingers

My most recent one came with these in .012":

My link

I string mine with these:

My link

Danny W.

The OE strings are great if you want round wounds. I keep a set in my case just in case I get a wild hair to change from my flat wounds.

On flat wounds, TI GBs are fine if you don't gig regularly and don't practice heavily. They just wear out too fast to make them affordable. Chromes have really great wear but lose intonation after about three weeks. I can't keep them tuned. My preference is the Sadowsky SGF 13. Great tone, stays intonated and great wear. They are $15.00 US and well worth it. They are presently out of stock but are expecting a shipment toward the end of this month. Link below:

https://secure.sadowsky.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=101&osCsid=0652dcd8ae16573d539a85f9c5602614

Of course, just my personal opinion.

Randy

Thanks for the recommendations, I have ordered the Gibson Strings from the site you recommended and will try out the Sadowsky. I had used Elixir strings on my Taylor so the I am used to a premium price. But they do last and stay in tune. Off to go hear Martin Taylor in a few hours!

The OE strings are great if you want round wounds. I keep a set in my case just in case I get a wild hair to change from my flat wounds.

On flat wounds, TI GBs are fine if you don't gig regularly and don't practice heavily. They just wear out too fast to make them affordable. Chromes have really great wear but lose intonation after about three weeks. I can't keep them tuned. My preference is the Sadowsky SGF 13. Great tone, stays intonated and great wear. They are $15.00 US and well worth it. They are presently out of stock but are expecting a shipment toward the end of this month. Link below:

https://secure.sadowsky.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=101&osCsid=0652dcd8ae16573d539a85f9c5602614

Of course, just my personal opinion.

Randy

Archived