Gibson Brands Forums

Harmonics TV Show

DanvillRob

You've got a rich history there Rob. Great stories about a time we surely won't see again. Excellent stuff!msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks, Cookie.... wish I would have recognized how historic the times were back then and paid more attention!

It sounds in ways kinda similar to what I experienced in the same time period but without the management or venues. The bands were similarly "friendly" regardless whence they came; we played some ... interesting ... venues though, in rural areas. Oddly I think "we" were often in two groups, those who loved playing but knew even if they dropped outa school they already had a non-music weekday career, and those who managed to make some sort of career out of it with or without a degree that meant nothing to music.

But... here's a thought too...

The more I think of the generation before the 60s rockers, the more I kinda feel bad that "we" are seen as the pioneers of combo music when actually the live pre-tv radio musicians and then small combos of the 1950s set the stage.

I remember for example my dad's good friend and yet competitor in the small town car biz also had a three or four-piece weekend combo doing standards of the day in the mid to late 1950s. It wasn't the hot music of incipient rock, but... it was quite a transition from big bands. Their acceptance in those 400-500 venue ballrooms made, I think, a lot of the potential for similar size rock bands to make a buck.

And then those "my dad's age" and older who would play bluegrass in one half hour radio show, swing in the next, a comedy show with 20s music, then a pop show... whatever it took ranging from hillbilly three-chord yet great virtuosity, and 10 minutes later some complex jazz stuff.

m

It sounds in ways kinda similar to what I experienced in the same time period but without the management or venues. The bands were similarly "friendly" regardless whence they came; we played some ... interesting ... venues though, in rural areas. Oddly I think "we" were often in two groups, those who loved playing but knew even if they dropped outa school they already had a non-music weekday career, and those who managed to make some sort of career out of it with or without a degree that meant nothing to music.

But... here's a thought too...

The more I think of the generation before the 60s rockers, the more I kinda feel bad that "we" are seen as the pioneers of combo music when actually the live pre-tv radio musicians and then small combos of the 1950s set the stage.

I remember for example my dad's good friend and yet competitor in the small town car biz also had a three or four-piece weekend combo doing standards of the day in the mid to late 1950s. It wasn't the hot music of incipient rock, but... it was quite a transition from big bands. Their acceptance in those 400-500 venue ballrooms made, I think, a lot of the potential for similar size rock bands to make a buck.

And then those "my dad's age" and older who would play bluegrass in one half hour radio show, swing in the next, a comedy show with 20s music, then a pop show... whatever it took ranging from hillbilly three-chord yet great virtuosity, and 10 minutes later some complex jazz stuff.

m

Times sure have changed between then and now.... just as they changed between "my dad's age" and our age....I recall as a young kid, (I'm thinking I was like 7-8), driving in the car with my dad and aunt to a radio station somewhere in northern California...they went in performed live on the radio..... got back in the car and we drove back. I don't know if it was set up prior.

I'll bet you have some GREAT stories about some of your gigs..... I know I do....

Bob...

Yeah, good stories... although sometimes I wonder how much they've been either embellished of softened in my own mind over the years.

The sad thing is that "we" could still get out and rock 'em as well or better than young bands today but... that darned gray hair and creased face... $#%$#%%#$#

OTOH, I know the drug "thing" wasn't really there when I got into rock, and was one reason I got out...

m

Bob...

Yeah, good stories... although sometimes I wonder how much they've been either embellished of softened in my own mind over the years.

The sad thing is that "we" could still get out and rock 'em as well or better than young bands today but... that darned gray hair and creased face... $#%$#%%#$#

OTOH, I know the drug "thing" wasn't really there when I got into rock, and was one reason I got out...

m

Milo, I think I told this on the forum before....but when you talk about embellishing the stories......We did a job with Big Brother. We were the headliners, and Janice was the opening act. They promoters had a cake there to calibrate the release of our new record. Janice, (I think she was envious), came up and stuck her finger in the frosting and scooped out some and ate it. I told her to keep her filthy fingers, (and they WERE filthy), out of the cake we were supposed to eat. That was in 1966...... in 2007 I got back together with three members of the old band, and we ALL remembered that story....but each of us remembered it differently!

Archived