Gibson Brands Forums

Carvin X100B Series IV

kaleb

I LOVE these amps. I can get one on GC used ( WAY better than fleebay or craigslist ) for around 400 bucks. I like the reissues that are loaded with 6L6s ( its like a Boogie Mark II or III only with more punch, note definition, clarity, and HUGEness ). EL34s will make it sound like the perfect hot-rodded 2204. I prefer 6L6s though. Kinda like my 93' PV Prowler but with more punch and definition, and, again, HUGE sounding. And they push air, too. It takes everything I like about the Prowler, but improves upon what I do not like ( like I said, it takes that round tone but opens it up ). The graphic eq is sweet too, as well as the 100/50/25 watts switch and the bias switch ( EL34s or 6L6/5881s. I do like 6550s, though ). Put that head on top of a Carvin X100B 4x12 loaded with some Emminences or EV 12Ls and you got an awesome souding ( and looking ) rig there! AND IT HAS A SOLO BOOST!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what version it is, but the ones with "carpet" instead of tolex are generally regarded as the best sounding version.

They're really cheap used. $400 is too much.

My friend got his on craigslist for $250 (head and cab) and it's a really sweet sounding amp.

I'm not sure what version it is, but the ones with "carpet" instead of tolex are generally regarded as the best sounding version.

They're really cheap used. $400 is too much.

My friend got his on craigslist for $250 (head and cab) and it's a really sweet sounding amp.

You can find those for $200-$300. I prefer the new ones. The older ones had some faults. These are improved, and have updated features ( bias switch, multi-watt modes, boost, etc. ). The old ones sound good, but I really like the flexibility of the Series IV.

Archived