Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LP circuitry

Scott Bismarck

I've had a 94 Epi Les Paul Custom for a few years. The only changes I've made are putting a pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro IIs in it and also a set of Grover tuners and it sounds massive. The only issue I sometimes have is when I turn the bridge pickup volume down (I use a crunchy OD tone but not a massive gain metal sound)and the sound tends to lose clarity more than I would like. I also have an Epi Dot Studio and it cleans up wonderfully when I ease off the volume. I've had the tone & volume pots checked (with an idea of them needing replaced) in my local guitar shop and they say they're running the same as the other Les Pauls instore. Are the electronics in a Gibson higher grade then Epis as if so I would consider replacing all the circuitry in the guitar with higher quality stuff.

Hi Scott welcome to the forum [biggrin]

Yes, Gibby electrics are better quality. Upgrading Pots, caps, jack, and switch is a very popular upgrade for Epi LPs. Just watch the Taper of the pots your choose, and also 50's style wiring will greatly reduce the the effect of the sound getting muddy as you roll off the volme.

Archived