Gibson Brands Forums

strings

shadowster

Could it be that the strings you removed were of a lighter gauge than .12's? If so, you not only have heavier strings, you've added more tension to the neck resulting in higher action. Both of these things will make it feel more difficult to fret the notes. Was the sj100 new and this is the first string change? You should probably take it in for a setup. .12's are by no means heavy strings, in fact, they are called "lights". A good setup will make the guitar easier to play in any case. They will check the action at the nut as well as higher action at the nut makes fretting notes in the first position more difficult.

Generally speaking, new guitars are strung with light strings. "12's" would be considered medium gauge. This makes them easier to sell to first time players. You've likely upgraded your strings to a heavier gauge. Give yourself a week of playing to strengthen up your fretting hand and you won't know the difference.

Also, heavier strings tug harder on the neck (obviously). You may need to have the action brought down.

Generally speaking, new guitars are strung with light strings. "12's" would be considered medium gauge. This makes them easier to sell to first time players. You've likely upgraded your strings to a heavier gauge. Give yourself a week of playing to strengthen up your fretting hand and you won't know the difference.

Also, heavier strings tug harder on the neck (obviously). You may need to have the action brought down.

Most acoustic guitar strings that start with the high E at .12 are labelled "light" with .13's being "medium" and .11's and .10's being "extra light" or "custom light". I've looked at D'Addario, Martin, Elixir, John Pearse. DR Sunbeams are labelled .10 (light), .11 (medium light), .12 (medium) and .13 (medium heavy).

I know my new SWD was strung with lights (.12) as were my three new Larrivees.

Archived