Gibson Brands Forums

Strap length advice

Madman_Greg

I plan to get a strap made for my Gibson J45

Now I have no plans to fit a strap button on the neck heel, so this will have to be one of those that goes to the headstock and is secured there.

I need some advice on what length I should be looking at.

Now I could mock up with some string and and old strap, but suspect someone here already has one of these and has the info I need.

I am 6' tall and of medium build 42" chest (and for the girls -- blue eyes and brown curly hair)

Thanks

Madman Greg

Now I have no plans to fit a strap button on the neck heel, so this will have to be one of those that goes to the headstock and is secured there.

Thanks

Madman Greg

If you are going to the trouble and expense of having one made, buy a cheap one first and mess around with it. Chances are you still want it be adjustable, and the length may change as you vary your style of playing. Fortunately, small changes in length make a significant change in the way it feels and the way the guitar plays and hangs.

To each his (or her) own on this one. There is no "right" length.

Generally speaking any standard guitar strap and boot lace will do. You will want the last several inches, before the nut, to be just lace. A width of strap close to the nut may get in the way of your thumb. I tie it off where I want, then chain knot the loose ends. The loose ends look like snake rattles swaying under the nut. I'll have to take a pic of this.

I have one strap which has a metal adjusting buckle. I haven't moved it in 30 years.

My other is made from a Salvation Army store 2" wide black belt with a double row of decorative perforations. I punched a key hole in the butt end, then threaded the boot lace through the perforations, finally tying it off at the nut.

Now I could mock up with some string and and old strap, but suspect someone here already has one of these and has the info I need.

I am 6' tall and of medium build 42" chest (and for the girls -- blue eyes and brown curly hair)

Thanks

I am approximately same size as you and I just ordered a strap 48 inches hole to hole for my J45. I also tie it off at the headstock. Know that you can adjust it a little longer when you tie it off at the headstock by just leaving more string to the end of the strap.

But if you're having it custom made, I would buy/borrow a cheap adjustable strap to measure your ideal length.

Madman Greg

Thanks

Madman Greg

Lets try that again. I am the same size as you and just bought a strap for my J45. My strap is 48 inches hole to hole. I find that the more or less lace that you use at the headstock also gives you the ability to adjust a few more inches.

Archived