Gibson Brands Forums

Western Classic vs. J-200 Custom Rosewood

Jwill

Hey guys,

I've read that Gibson is no longer using Madagascar rosewood in the Western Classic places the model tone wood wise on par with the J-200 Custom. Aside from aesthetics, the beautiful 5-ply binding, can anyone offer a comparison of these two models tone wise. Gibson's description for both models states:

"The lightweight bracing pattern inside the Custom Western Classic J-200 is the same pattern used in Gibson’s first Super Jumbo in 1937—constructed to support and strengthen a very large surface, thus allowing the top more freedom of movement to vibrate and project sound. "

Does this mean that they guitars share the same bracing? If so I'm expecting that the tones would be nearly identical between the two models.

If anyone's had a chance to play'em both (first off I'm quite envious) and second please chime in.

Does this mean that they guitars share the same bracing? If so I'm expecting that the tones would be nearly identical between the two models.

What's right about this is that knowing whether a J-200 is a Western Classic or a Custom Rosewood tells you nothing about the tone. What's wrong's about this is that tone varies a lot from one J-200 to the next. (This has always been true of J-200s, except during the period when the tops were so heavily damped that they didn't have much tone -- from 1960 to 1988.) Even more than with most acoustic guitars, the specific pieces of wood matter more than the specs.

IMHO,

-- Bob R

Archived