Gibson Brands Forums

Getting a new guitar. lp custom or lp standard?

tbag

I already have a Gibson Es-335 2010 mod, and im looking for another guitar. Have thought about the sg 61 but im considering an les paul also.

Could anyone tell me why I would consider the Les Paul Standard or the Custom? Why one or the other?

What are the differences?

Looking forward to hear some good advice.

• 3 weeks later...

related question are custum made standards better than usa made standards? and is it enough of a difference for the extra price tag? and studios have the same pickups as customs i know most studios have rosewood fretboards unlike customs but studios with ebony fretboards is there any differnce in sound between them and custums or is it just looks?

ebony is a more expensive wood than rosewood, so this is going to factor into the cost of a custom over a standard. Also because it is a harder wood to work with it requires a very skiller worker because its more brittle than rosewood which probably means more pay to the luthier/craftsman.

There are cosmetic and tonal differences to consider. You get Mother of Pearl on the Custom, multi-layer binding and gold hardware and the 490/498 which are a good general purpose pair of pickups. The Standard has burstbuckers which give it a more vintage tone, some figuring on the top, single ply binding and a rosewood fretboard and both are now weight relieved. The Custom has an ebony fretboard which will add a bit of brightness to the tone, though not everyone can detect it. It is when you start looking at the reissues, Customs, LPs and Standards, that you start finding bigger differences in specs and some tone variation, especially when compared to the Gibson USA models or modern models. The best thing you could do is try both and see if you notice a difference that is worth the price. Sure, the Custom is at or near the top of the line and most people think that makes it the coolest or best, but the best guitar for you is the one that fits your playing style and tonal needs, that feels the best in your hands, sounds the best to you, and fits your budget and lifestyle. If you cannot try both before you buy, my suggestion would be to go for the lesser of the two evils then work up. If you end up stepping up to a Custom you are likely to take less of a financial hit when you sell the Standard. Hope that helps some. Let us know how you make out.

Cheers

Archived