Gibson Brands Forums

Is my guitar genuine??

roflhoff

Hi all,

I recently decided to start playing guitar again after several years off. I purchased what I believe is a '99/2000 Historic Reissue Les Paul back in 2000. This was purchased from a reputable store, and not an online sale!! The instrument sounds great and appears (to me!!) to be the real deal. However, I am struggling to find any information regarding the serial number on the headstock.

The serial number is 9 0647... Almost everything I have been able to find online has an R in front or contains 6 digits.

I can add photos if required.

Any help given would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Those aren't the greatest pictures but it looks fine to me. There really is no concern if you bought it from a genuine authorized Gibson dealer.

There is no actual R in the serial number unless it is a chambered reissue. Those have serial numbers beginning with CR.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Gibson Custom

1952-1960 Les Paul, Explorer, Flying V, and Futura reissues (since late 1992):

M YRRR or MYRRRR

M is the model year being reissued

Y is the production year

RRR® indicates the guitar's place production for that year. NOTE: This number includes all models for a particular reissue year - so, for example, a 1958 Reissue serial number may include '58 Reissue LP Standard and '58 Explorer production.

Archived