Gibson Brands Forums

Fake or Not

Kmag

As I investigate whether or not to buy an Epi Joe Pass Emperor I came across a JP II. The serial # begins with the letter S which I understand refers to the Samick factory in Korea, right? The S is followed by 98 and six more numbers. It is stamped into the wood on the back of the headstock. There is a metal plate afixed towards the bottom rear of the headstock. It reads: Epiphone on the first line followed by Gibson Made in USA on the second line which is followed by a third line with the serial # again. My understanding from the limited research I have done is that Epiphone did not make this guitar in the USA but in Korea.

I guess I need a reliable source for what a 1998 JP Emperor II looks like but I've yet to find one. Seeing the Made in USA on the stamp leads me to conclude it is a fake since all were made in Korea. Or am I totally off base here? The guy is asking $1,000 (US) with case which appears high if it is a real JP.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. The seller is private. I guess I could go to a music store and forget my worries but if I can find an electric arch top I like the travels are well worth it.

Hi Kmag, welcome to the forums, there's a great bunch around here, I hope you like it.

I'm no good at model identification, but it would help others a great deal if you could post some pics of the guitar. Info on how to post pics is in the DIY thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge.

DIY Thread

Here's a link to a similar guitar that sold for $329 in 2007: http://www.guitar-mu...em.php?ID=10221

I've not seen a metal plate affixed to the back of an Epi headstock, so I'm guessing that it was added later.

I think it's unlikely that the guitar itself is a fake, but the seller may be trying to pass it off as USA-made, or got suckered themselves and is trying to get rid of it.

No matter, $1,000 is 3x what a used JP II should sell for.

Archived