Gibson Brands Forums

Epi jr 57 advice or just your opinion

Safesurfer

OK, first off..hello to everyone. Been reading these pages for a while but due to the fact I am a total novice I have lurked in the shadows...until now

I own two epi's at the moment, an Alpine white custom and a jr 57 reissue (I also have a squier fat tele...but I just can't take to it)

Anyway, my question is - A friend of mine gave me a bareknuckle p90 and told me to put it in the jr as he felt it would make the guitar sound better. I, went along with this, and unscrewed the dog eared casing (the bareknuckle one didn't have one)

Here is the problems

1) the pickup I removed seemed to have stuff stuck to the back of it that went into a cavity in the guitar

2) the bare knuckle one didn't???

3) the holes in the casing did not aline

4) the stock p100 had a few wires coming from it....the bareknuckle has on thick one

Remember I am a novice...I pretend to be nothing more...so be gentle

Safe, the stock '57 RI actually isn't a P90, it's a P100 (stacked single coils) so it's quiet and sounds like a 'bucker whilst masquerading as a P90. (Hence the extra leads.)

And you have discovered that all P90s (and especially the covers) are not created equal. Unless you can modify the stock cover to fit the Bareknuckles, you'll need to buy a matching cover. You may also want to experiment with shims (Lollar has good ones) to get the pickup height where you want it. Lastly, you may have to put up with some hum, since Juniors don't have a second pickup to cancel the first. But I'd do it, that Bareknuckles has got to sound amazing if you set it up right.

Archived