Gibson Brands Forums

i blame the parents...

S t e v e

Farns...

Actually I encountered a bit of early bullying in both "public" and "state" schools, but although small in size for my age, was considered ... feisty. In the boarding school I think a judo throw took care of that potential problem although as a westerner, I was considered quite an oddity in perspectives. That almost got me tossed, too.

That's too long a story to relate, but suffice it to say that taking a Northern US Plains kid to a New England boarding school was far more of a culture shock than a dirt-floored saloon in Paraguay with vestigial Spanish or hanging out in local watering holes in Korea regardless of inability to speak Korean (although I can read the alphabet).

I'm not sure the degree to which Steiner was talking "race" or "culture," and frankly in ways I think that as "culture," there likely is some good reasoning there. I think that sometimes when a culture allows certain aspects to ossify, it creates major difficulties. And we're seeing an increasing "world culture" now, with some joining us kicking and screaming about it.

My comment about how it's easier to communicate with folks in guitar-using cultures is kinda a reflection of that perspective.

E.g., China had ossified by the time of European expansion and had major problems for a century they're now emerging from - and the guitar is part of it. But culturally, I don't seem much difference overall over the past cupla thousand years. The Japanese had done quite better in initial adjustment but hit a huge pothole that those who didn't "get" the rest of the world didn't see in their pathway.

"Race" is obviously to me not a part of that, but I'd contend that to an extent, language and its modes of reflecting culture most definitely is.

I'd make a case too that Anglophone culture has tended to be relatively more accepting of various changes both in the language itself (although I'm a horrid "conservative" in ways when it comes to language) and in absorbing changing conditions in the world around it. So in ways, I don't see the UK, US and Canada, and the Anglophone antipodeans as all that different, but genetic factors aren't reasons why. Culture and language...

Anyway, so much for that. <grin> Bottom line is that a Steiner school may have offered an excellent education, but no school per se can cure a severely troubled youth whether rich or poor. That's sad and I know our governments like to suggest that it can be done. Unfortunately I think there are too many examples to the contrary.

m

Guest farnsbarns

but no school per se can cure a severely troubled youth whether rich or poor. That's sad and I know our governments like to suggest that it can be done. Unfortunately I think there are too many examples to the contrary.

Couldn't agree more.

Seems like an easy conclusion to jump to but there is one known (to me) obvious possible cause for his angst. He was adopted, I don't know at what age but I have witnessed the difficulties felt by some adoptees first hand.

Coincidently 5 of my good friends when I was younger were adopted and 3 clearly were effected although to different degrees. One was my best friend during my teens, I am afraid he was very troubled and sadly commited suicide in his late teens. I can't say that it was certainly due to the trauma related to adoption but I would say it seemed to have contributed.

N.B I don't want to imply that I think adoption is wrong or that all kids who are adopted have trouble with it, just to be clear.

Archived