Gibson Brands Forums

bigsby B7

Paulmorrison

B7s look killer on an SG, even if they were made for carved top guitars like ES335s and Sheratons. I do advise actually mounting the thing. Vibramates are weak sauce. Do it or go home.

Thanks guys i have just undercoated my sg and blanked the stop bar holes so im going for the b7 mounted sraight to the body , will look like a factory fitted job i hope.

But can someone tell me where the earth will go as mine went to the stop bar post, will i need to earth it to the bridge from the pickup cavety ??????????????

Where about in north wales are ya from, i live by wrexham!

ermmm... i bought mine with the bigsby already on, so im not sure where it would be grounded.

when i was cleaning it though i removed the bigsby unit and there were no sings of any grounding wires!?!? i dont know if that helps at all?

B7s look killer on an SG, even if they were made for carved top guitars like ES335s and Sheratons. I do advise actually mounting the thing. Vibramates are weak sauce. Do it or go home.

you dont recommend vibromates? why?

you dont recommend vibromates? why?

Reason number one is that it isn't spaced correctly: the distance between the bridge and the Bigsby unit is too short. Makes working the bar awkward. Second, the Bigsby unit does not attach to the guitar so you lose the tonal advantages of having a big chunk of metal screwed to the top. Third, it's like leaving the training wheels on your bike past first grade. Do you want a Bigsby or not? Are your couch cushions covered in plastic? Do you keep the plastic film on your pickguards? (you see where I am going with this).

Reason number one is that it isn't spaced correctly: the distance between the bridge and the Bigsby unit is too short. Makes working the bar awkward. Second, the Bigsby unit does not attach to the guitar so you lose the tonal advantages of having a big chunk of metal screwed to the top. Third, it's like leaving the training wheels on your bike past first grade. Do you want a Bigsby or not? Are your couch cushions covered in plastic? Do you keep the plastic film on your pickguards? (you see where I am going with this).

hahaa yeah i think i understand your view! What tonal effects will a vibramate have as opposed to mounting it straight on?

hahaa yeah i think i understand your view! What tonal effects will a vibramate have as opposed to mounting it straight on?

You're losing that direct contact to the wood so you'll lose some of the richness and sustain. Vibramates will just defuse sound.

• 11 months later...

011[/img]

This is the finished job looking good and plays even better guy's : )

Ace!

Did you get Super Furry Animals to sign it yet? My drummer would flip. He's a big fan of the band.

• 5 weeks later...

Ace!

Did you get Super Furry Animals to sign it yet? My drummer would flip. He's a big fan of the band.

Not yet ill see them one day , Tell your mate if he likes welsh bands to take a listen to a band called the Y NIWL the fog in english they have the sg now to try out : )

Archived