Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer 1985

horns007

Hi, I'm looking at a 1985 Explorer, and in the pictures, it had Gibson tuners and on the back of the headstock there was a sticker that said Custom Shop Edition (or it was painted din idk).

My question is whether this guitar is legit or not?

Serial # is 81285621

765741176_small.jpg

Matthias Jobs from the Scorpions

76custom-albums-guitars-picture20394-gibson-custom-shop-explorer-xpl-dirty-finger-pickups-kahler-ebony-fret-board.jpg

Explorer XPL

These are the only two custom shop Explorer models I know of from 1985 does it look like either of these? Also a picture would really help out in identifying it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 84 Explorer,it's a plumburst? And it has the same custom shop sticker on the back of the headstock,however IMO i don't think yours is

original,they only put those labels on it if it had certain paint jobs,doesn't really mean it was made at the custom shop,if you can buy it for a decent

price i'd go for it, i have 4 Explorers and love each one,sound,the way it plays etc,great guitar.

That my friend appears to be a James Hetfield explorer, not sure if this was a signature model through the custom shop or not. But thats EXACTLY what his guitar looked like minus the More Beer sticker and the EMG pickups.

I've got a 1985 Explorer too. Here is it:

vetrina6.jpg

Your Explorer looks genuine to my eyes. But the custom shop sticker is strange (not present on mine).... :-k . You know if she has been refinished?

Also it seems that our guitar has been made the same day of the same year cause the serial number of my Explorer begins with 81285*** too. What a casuality [biggrin]

EDIT:

These are the only two custom shop Explorer models I know of from 1985 does it look like either of these? Also a picture would really help out in identifying it.

This is a 1985 custom shop Explorer too. My link

That' s why i asked if the guitar had been refinished :).

Archived