Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul String Action

s-hoch

Hi!

I've been thinking about raising the string action of my Epiphone Les Paul (I play blues, so I guess it'll improve the sustain and reduce the buzz).

What else do I need to adjust if I set them higher? I guess I'll need to intone the octaves again at the twelve fret. Anything else?

Also, I have no way of measuring the string height at the twelve fret. Can I do it just buy feel? Or should I take it to a luthier to get it done?

Thanks!

Chances are, you won't need to do anything else. Height of action is mostly personal taste, trial and error will work fine for you until it's to your liking.

+1

Going up is pretty straight forward, just back the bridge posts out, turn ccw, make sure you slacken the strings slightly before raising it, and re-tune after each adjustment to test it.

+1

Going up is pretty straight forward, just back the bridge posts out, turn ccw, make sure you slacken the strings slightly before raising it, and re-tune after each adjustment to test it.

Thanks! Both of you.

I'm sorry but what do you mean by backing the bridge posts out? English is not my native language and I'm not familiar with some technical terms.

I'm sorry but what do you mean by backing the bridge posts out? English is not my native language and I'm not familiar with some technical terms.

Unscrew them, turn them counter-clockwise.

Archived