Gibson Brands Forums

First year of Legends L-00?

sumner77

thanks Bob. So if Gibson confirms a particular serial number as being built January 2007 it would be one of the first?

Seems likely, but no one knew for sure. The initial production run of J-45 Legends (not called that at the time) in late 2006 (mine's dated 19 November) is pretty well known. Apparently, the first L-00 Legends were later than that -- there wasn't a run of "pickguard under finish" L-00s -- but no one knew exactly how much later. I would actually be surprised if it were as early as January 2007. Could it be a prototype rather than a regular production model? Please let us know what you find out!

-- Bob R

I saw early prototypes of the L-00 Legend and the J-45 Legend in August 2006; I believe the models were both 'tweaked' before entering full production either later in '06 or early '07. I seem to recall that they were introduced at the NAMM show the following January (2007), so that would add up.

Fred

I seem to recall that they were introduced at the NAMM show the following January (2007), so that would add up.

You recall correctly, Fred. That's also when the name "Legend" was introduced -- the 2006 J-45 Legends were labeled "1942 J-45 Historic", IIRC.

-- Bob R

Archived