Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock decal concern es335

Jumbo

Hello,

just bought a 1999 Gibson es 335 dot, awesome guitar!

But I'm a bit concerned about the decal(if that's the right word) transfers. Unlike my Gibson sg the mother of pearl transfer has an outline and is not cut around the the lettering.

it's Just not as neat as the 2002 sg. Is that normal for es 335's?

I know these guitars are vulnerable in the top neck area but very sure there's been no breakage.

Serial - 91339410

• 2 weeks later...

There is no mother of pearl transfer decals on a Gibson. What you are seeing is actually a mother of pearl or abalone inlay..meaning they rout out a hole in the headstock, and actually inlay pieces of material in the hole, and if it is not a super tight fit, they put a black epoxy around it to fill the rest of the hole nicely. :) your axe is fine.....I promise.

It is totally normal. The pearl inlay has filler around the edge, and one thing about them common to ALL Gibsons is that with age, as the wood expands and contracts, you will see that area become visable around the inlay.

• 3 weeks later...

It is totally normal. The pearl inlay has filler around the edge, and one thing about them common to ALL Gibsons is that with age, as the wood expands and contracts, you will see that area become visable around the inlay.

Thanks,

so this is normal...

IMG_1027-1.jpg

335HEADSTK.jpg

Archived