Gibson Brands Forums

Locking Tuners & Roller Bridge on an SG?

Superdick2112

Has anyone here ever tried the Allparts locking Gibson-style tuners or Schaller roller bridge on an SG equipped with a Maestro vibrato? I just bought a 50th Anniversary Robby Krieger SG, & was thinking of installing these to help keep it in tune when using the vibrato - no dive-bombing mind you (I have a Les Paul Axcess w/ a Floyd for that), just shaking chords & notes lightly. She holds pretty good tune now, but I think I could improve it a bit with some locking tuners & a roller bridge - what do you think?

http://www.allparts.com/Locking-Tuners-Vintage-3x3-Nickel-p/tk-0735-001.htm

http://www.allparts.com/Schaller-Chrome-Roller-Tunematic-p/gb-0590-010.htm

I thing the roller bridge would help but I think the nut would get in the way of the locking tuners helping. I would not modify that guitar in any way that would permanently change it like a locking nut. I've been looking at that guitar, how does it compare to a 61RI ?

I've been looking at that guitar, how does it compare to a 61RI ?

I bought mine from Wildwood Guitars here in Colorado, & was lucky enough to be able to compare it side-by-side with a wide selection of SGs, including a several Standards, a '61 RI, and several Custom Shop Historic models (including a few in Korina, pretty much every you see here - http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson/sg/

The only SG that played slightly better than mine was an Custom Shop Historic '61 RI, it was over twice the price of mine.

Of all the SGs I played that day, the Krieger looked & sounded the best, and with a price just slightly higher than that of a Standard, the guitar is, IMHO, the best SG for the money available today.

I have a Shaller roller bridge on my 1990 STD, and there is no tremelo on that SG. The strings must be able to slide (very little though) easy through the nut. When your SG won't stay in tune, it is more likely that the nut is the cause. If I were you I would deal with the nut first before switching to another bridge.

I have the Shaller roller bridge as well. Since it has a 14" radius it's slightly flatter then the SG's 12" fingerboard. Which is just where you want to be. Like Ruud said, I'd inspect the nut if your having problems staying in tune. Most tuning problems are caused by the nut slot pinching a string.

Thanks guys, you were right... I added a bit of powdered graphite to the nut slots, and now that the guitar has about 10 hours of play time on it, things are settling in nicely. The tuning holds much better when using the trem, and I plan on keeping it stock. BTW, for anyone interested, the Krieger has hand-wired pots & electronics - no nasty printed circuit boards to be found. I don't know how I managed to play guitar for almost 30 years without ever owning an SG, but now that I do, there's no turning back. I plan on adding either an ebony Standard or a heritage cherry '61 RI to the stable soon.

Archived