Gibson Brands Forums

New Ephiphone LP Plus Top

stagger

Hi Guys, recently received my new Epi Les Paul Plus top and the guitar is georgous...

However have to say im disspointed in the action....

the action on it was set very high out of the box

I lowered the bridge down some to 5/64 on the treble side, and 6/64 on the bass side but im still getting fret buzz

I checked the truss rod and there is a slight relief (bow) to the neck at the 7th fret.

Is it normal for these to have a lil higher action then normal?

Any advice as I love the guitar but dont want to settle for something that will have high action?

Hi

and welcome here [thumbup]

what action is 'normal' ?

it has to fit 'worldwide' and never can be to your likes other than per accident

What neckprofile does it have ?

Not sure on the exact neck profile it has but the specs say it has a slim tapered neck

I thought the guidlines "normal" string height is approx 4/64 on the treble side, and 6/64 on the bass side?

Features

Solid mahogany body

Flamed maple veneer over carved top

Set mahogany neck

Slim-tapered neck

22-fret rosewood fingerboard

24-3/4" scale

1-11/16" nut width

Alnico Classic humbuckers

LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece for more sustain and easier string changing

Cream body and fretboard binding

Chrome hardware

Not sure on the exact neck profile it has but the specs say it has a slim tapered neck

I thought the guidlines "normal" string height is approx 4/64 on the treble side, and 6/64 on the bass side?

Features

Solid mahogany body

Flamed maple veneer over carved top

Set mahogany neck

Slim-tapered neck

22-fret rosewood fingerboard

24-3/4" scale

1-11/16" nut width

Alnico Classic humbuckers

LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece for more sustain and easier string changing

Cream body and fretboard binding

Chrome hardware

The Epiphone manual states that the factory setup for electrics is to have 4/64 on the treble side and 6/64 on the bass side, measured at the 12th fret.

A few initial thoughts:-

-when you say bow, is this an upwards bow as a backwards bow would always cause fret buzz?

-some of your bridge saddles or your nut could be cut/filed too low. There's a lot of set up advice on the DIY thread in the lounge to help you diagnose these problems. Which frets/strings are affected are a good starting point for a diagnosis.

-the frets may have been poorly dressed at the factory (or there could be fret wear if used) necessitating a fret dress

-the neck may be warped/twisted

-If you're used to, say, guitars with flatter fretboards perhaps your expectation of a lower action is greater than is possible. Note that some degree of buzz is always going to occur with a low action and this will be more evident with a heavy strumming/picking action

-the neck just needs to settle in to new conditions after transport, especially if there has been a big change in temperature or humidity.

You may have too much relief. On one of my LP's it ONLY plays well with a dead straight neck. Try adjusting the neck nearly straight, and then set the action at the bridge about where you like it to be and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you will only need a good fret level and dress.

You may have too much relief. On one of my LP's it ONLY plays well with a dead straight neck. Try adjusting the neck nearly straight, and then set the action at the bridge about where you like it to be and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you will only need a good fret level and dress.

Too much relief (provided that's an upwards bow) won't cause fret buzz but it can make the neck feel a bit spongy in the lower/middle register as the action in that area, in particular, will be higher. There is no doubt that the lowest actions across the whole neck can be achieved with a straight or near straight neck. You need well dressed frets to achieve this along with a less than aggresive picking/strumming technique.

Too much relief (provided that's an upwards bow) won't cause fret buzz but it can make the neck feel a bit spongy in the lower/middle register as the action in that area, in particular, will be higher. There is no doubt that the lowest actions across the whole neck can be achieved with a straight or near straight neck. You need well dressed frets to achieve this along with a less than aggresive picking/strumming technique.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I have it dialed in now I took your advice and set the fret board almost dead flat and it took the buzz out

String height is 4/64 and 6/64 so Im happy with that. Good thing I invested in the Stew Mac setup tools (level, string height gauge)

as it saved me a lot of money doing my own setups.

This is my first LP and I cant say enough about how aweosme this guitar is.

Cant wait to get the new Slash pickups in as the stock ones sound very muddy.

Thanks again for all your help!

Check out my youtube vid on my sig to see what difference a pup swap to Duncans can make.

BTW, Congrats on your new guitar and welcome to the forum.

Erm...................you've forgotten something though.

Archived