Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone question!

ahernandez1

Hey guys, I am very new here and I have A question. I was recently searching through my attic when I came across A guitar my grandfather had and I tried to look it up online but can not find anything. I was wondering about it, if it's a good guitar, price, etc... So if you can help me please post! It's an Epiphone acoustic very mint condition and I searched for the model number and cannot find anything. The model number is P R 600A C S, if you could help me that would be great! I know next to nothing about guitars and I'm not even sure if i'm giving the right information. Please help me. Thanks.

The PR 600 was made in Korea from about 1980 to 1985 or so. It has mahogany back and sides and a laminated spruce top (most guitarists would prefer a solid spruce top to a laminated one, as solid usually produces louder sound and richer tone).

If you're looking to sell it, you may find there is less demand in the used market for the PR 600 than some other Epiphone models. Unlike many Epiphones made today, it's not a model based on any of the designs of Epiphone's parent-company, Gibson (it's shaped more like a Martin 000). Many buyers choose Epiphone as an affordable option to the more expensive Gibson.

It was also made before Epiphone really found it's feet again, and solidified it's niche producing affordable, high quality instruments. For many years after Gibson stopped making Epiphones in the US (in 1970), Epiphone was mainly an importer of fairly generic, mostly average Pac-Rim products. Today, most Epiphone products have a strong streak of Gibson DNA, and there are several very worthy original new designs and line-ups, too.

You might get between $50 and $150 for it, depending on the condition.

Red 333

PR 600 A C S

PR = Presentation Not exactly sure what this means. I does differentiate it from the previous nomenclature beginning FT (Flat Top). The PR series was made during the waning years of the Norlin era. > > > Read Brief History of Epiphone < < <

600 = Basic model number

A = Not sure what this means

C = At the end usually means cut-a-way.

S = Usually means solid topped.. this is good, not laminate, but you need to be sure it doesn't dry out and crack.

Pictures would be cool. [thumbup]

Hey Tommy the A actually means Antique Sunburst not sure the C refers to cutaway as they never made a PR-600 cutaway, S is for a solid top Red and the price should be a touch higher usually around $150-to a high of $300 in excellent shape ( means it almost looks like new with no real scratchs and not very many pick marks or bumps > ahernandez1 a decent guitar to play so I do hope you keep it and play the heck out of it.ship

Hey Tommy the A actually means Antique Sunburst not sure the C refers to cutaway as they never made a PR-600 cutaway, S is for a solid top Red and the price should be a touch higher usually around $150-to a high of $300 in excellent shape ( means it almost looks like new with no real scratchs and not very many pick marks or bumps > ahernandez1 a decent guitar to play so I do hope you keep it and play the heck out of it.ship

Thanks, Ship and Tommy. I should have known the "S" was for solid.

Red 333

I'm pretty sure ACS means "Antique Cherry Bunburst" and ABS means "Anitique Sun Burst". Looking at GIS images of the two guitars, it seems this is the only difference. The ACS fades in to cherry around the outer edges and the ABS fades in to black.

I know that this doesnt follow the general rule for letter designations, whereas C=cutaway, S=Solid. But "A" cant designate the color by itself. It would be something like AS-ASB or AS-AC if they were to designate the model style in the name. (acoustic/solid/Anitque Sunburst or Antique Cherryburst, respectively). "A" is just an example here. It doesnt stand for "acoustic" as there were no electric models to require the acoustic designation.

Also, the PR-600 had a laminated spruce top, not solid. Sometimes the "S" will stand for "spruce" if there are other models that have different tops like mahogany or rosewood. In that case you will see "M" or "R"...or SM or SR for solid/wood type.

Considering that there was only one PR-600 model (two if you count the 12-string), there is no need to designate anything but the differences in colors.

According to the Epiphone 1982 Acoustic/Archtop catalouge, its a laminated spruce top. The 1986 catalogue has the PR300-715 (but missing the 600) and the whole series is listed as "Select Spruce" whice typically means "laminated".

EDIT: Looking a little further in to this, it seems there were some PR-Series guitars with solid tops. I havent seen any PR-600's, but I did find a 350 and a 775....2 versions of each. One with a solid top and one laminate top. The designations were 350, 350-S and 750, 750-S. A 600 should follow this same formula. A PR-600-S/ACS or S/CS would be a solid top cherry burst. PR-600 ACS would be a lam top. If it was a solid top, the "S" would be the first letter after the model number.

Yep it can be confussing to say the least I do know for sure mine was a solid top as all the lines were up and down instead of across, but mine was one of the first at the time I bought it, so it would not surprise me if they switched over to a laminate top eventually. It would not be the first time that Epiphone ( Gibson ) had done this. My PR-6E started as a solid top and then was switched over to a laminate and it killed me when I sold it that I had to sand paper the sound hole to show that it was as originally stated a solid top and was later switched to a lam.ship

I rarely rely upon catalogues completely as there is always a 25% chance of it being wrong stated these days.ship

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I have a PR-600N, which refers to a natural wood finish, my top is solid spruce. The guitar is made in Japan, best I can determine around 1980. Serial #04094. My guitar instructor has mentioned that he can't believe the sound this somewhat older guitar produces. i.e with a tuning fork the sound is extremely loud. He say's he's picked up thousands of guitars and this one really amazes him. I've had other people tell me that these guitars are actually "preferred". I would like to pick up a 12 string of the same model. Being somewhat 3/4 size, It's my fav guitar, over my Gibson Songbird and old Crestwood. Best part is I picked it up at a garage sale, where the guitar had been stored in the upper part of the garage for 10? years, through michigan winters. etc. Guitar is perfect, don't think I'll ever part with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived