Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup dilemna

Groovedoggie1

Okay, I've had my Traditional Pro Korina for a week or so now and am in love. I've also got an all stock Agile AL-3100 (plays even better than the Epi!). My dilemna is this: I also have a set of Stewart MacDonald Parsons Street Humbuckers as well as a set of Seymour Duncans (JB and Jazz). Who would keep the stock pickups in their Epi? They're not bad at all, although I'm not crazy about the bridge pickup. I've had good luck with StewMac's single coil pickups in a Strat and the reviews have been great for their Parsons Street Humbuckers. And of course, everybody knows about the SD hotrodded humbucker set. What would you do? Oh - I've got a bunch of PIO capacitors (.022 and .015) as well as push/pull pots.

Groovedoggie,

I'm lousy at guessing what someone wants to hear out of a guitar so this probably won't help much.

As you have different pots, caps and pickups, I will presume you know something about guitar electronics.

Why not just take some time and experiment?

That's what I'm doing with one of my guitars. It's amazing what you can do with a few rubber bands, some aligator clips and some tape:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/67050-lp-redo/page__view__findpost__p__939888

A temporary solder or two is also no big deal.

The best part is that it is relatively easy with a solid body.

My personal favorite (no matter what pickups) is 50's dependent with PIO caps. (I know many of the members here like 50's independent) Try both and decide.

If you can throw in a coil split or tap, so much the better.

Maybe others can offer better suggestions.

Willy

If I had a new Epi and some duncans in a drawer (especially those) The Epi pups would have an appointment with either the drawer of the circular file cabinet.

I also would use it as an opportunity to experiment. Not only would I be interested which of those pups between the 2 you mentioned sound better in the guitar, but I would be interested in how much better they sound from the stock Epi.

I'm nuts that way, though.

If they are burstbuckers, that is a whole different story.

I would still experiment, but I would not automatically expect the other pups to be better.

But, that is me. I don't have a single axe that hasn't had the redone in them.

If they are burstbuckers, that is a whole different story.

I would still experiment, but I would not automatically expect the other pups to be better.

But, that is me. I don't have a single axe that hasn't had the redone in them.

I think they are "ProBuckers", Epi's version of Burstbuckers. Like I said, I've never heard them personally, but I assume they sound different than the regular Epi buckers. I'd really like to hear a review of how those pups actually do sound in comparison.

For some reason the Korina model comes with their Alnico classic instead of the probucker. And ya know, I've never thought about the "rubber bands and alligator clips" temporary way! But then again, the biggest PITA is fishing those wires through the route. If I go through all that, may as well solder.

I will miss the look of those zebras, though!

Archived