Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V with regular Gibson headstock instead of V

Jeff Coley

I bought a Flying V in a pawnshop and it had a regular headstock instead of the V. A friend of mine, who is pretty knowledgeable about guitars and amps said that some were made as cheaper versions. The neck is a bolt-on and fits and plays well. The serial number is missing the 5th number due to a chip in the headstock on back. It is number 8183(?)503 showing that it was made in Nashville on July 2nd (if it wasn't a leap year) of 80 something. Can anyone shed any light on this, pleeeeeeze?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

To my knowledge Gibson has never made a Flying V with a bolt on neck or a regular Gibson headstock. The so called cheaper versions (made in the 80's) had no pick guards, maple necks, and some may have been made with basewood bodies instead of Mohogany but those still had glue on necks. Unfortunetly serial numbers can be forged and faked. Have you verified the serial number with Gibson? (1-800-4 GIBSON) It should aslo have "Made in the USA" stamped on the back of the headstock as well. Could you post some photos?

The neck is most likely from a Gibson "Sonex 180", I'm guessing a "Custom" or "Deluxe" model. These were made during the 80's and were bolt on neck versions of the Les Paul aimed at the beginners market. I have no idea where the body comes from, most likely it's from a cheaper import guitar. I doubt this is a prototype model because those are usualy stamped with "Prototype" instead of serial numbers. It looks to me like the previous owner switched necks on the guitar to give people the illusion he (or she) owned a Gibson.

Hopefully Gibson can tell you for sure but it may take a day or two to hear back from them. If it is what I believe it is, I'd take a copy of the e-mail from Gibson with you to the pawn shop and get your money back. Maybe they can track down who they got from and get their money back too.

Oh, I got it about 7 years ago and it plays really well. I didn't give too much for it. If I took it back to the pawnshop, they'd just put it off on some other unsuspecting person. I'd rather keep it around as a conversation piece and out of circulation. Whoever did it did a really good job.

I double checked my "The Flying V" book and Gibson has never made a production version of the flying V with a regular headstock. Honestly it dosen't look bad, maybe someone from Gibson will see the photos and get an idea. A Flying V with a Les Paul Custom type head might be a seller.

Bottom line, as long as you are happy with her that's all that matters, enjoy!.

Archived