Gibson Brands Forums

Pre-1993 Les Paul Standard - need help!

littlebird

Hello, I have a second-hand Epiphone Les Paul that I'm pretty sure was made sometime between 1988 and 1993. The serial number is one of those tricky ones: F5020635. I take it the F means made in Japan, but I can't figure out the seven digits. Also, unlike the newer Epiphone LP Standards, this one says Epiphone at the top of the head but Gibson on the little screwed-in truss rod cover thing by the nut, with the Les Paul signature in between. The newer models say "Les Paul" near the nut instead. Trapezoidal pearly inlays, set-in neck (the newer ones are bolted?), cherry sunburst colour, very nice looking. Can anyone here make heads or tails of the serial number and possibly tell me what year it was made? Also, what's the resale value of these older ones compared to the newer ones? Cheers.

We really can't tell you anything much without seeing pics of the guitar. I doubt it was made in Japan but more likely at the Fine Guitars plant in Korea. Japan made LPs have two screws holding the truss rod cover, the little plate, in place while other Asian made Epis have three. That is an easy way to determine if it was made in Japan or not.

We really can't tell you anything much without seeing pics of the guitar. I doubt it was made in Japan but more likely at the Fine Guitars plant in Korea. Japan made LPs have two screws holding the truss rod cover, the little plate, in place while other Asian made Epis have three. That is an easy way to determine if it was made in Japan or not.

Thanks Barcham. Here are two pictures:

2dkjneg.jpg

oh7ic3.jpg

It's got three screws so not Japan then! Colours are a bit off BTW.

Archived