Gibson Brands Forums

Unkown Epiphone SG Special

Goboyz

Hi all,

I saw an Epiphone SG the other day at the local Best Buy electronics store. It really caught my eye because I've never seen one like this before. It was displayed pretty high on the wall, so I couldn't see details, but it was new, not used and the finish was a curly maple in a honey burst finish- really nice! I tried searching for it on the web, and I did see a picture of one on ebay (damaged)- I think it was called an SG400 Special, but I have not see one like it anywhere online. Is this perhaps sold only at Best Buys? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Goboys

I was wondering if it might have been that one, but you said "Special", so I assumed it was the one without the pickguard. Both are very nice looking guitars!

Hi RTH,

I'm sorry about the nomenclature confusion. I don't know a lot about SG models. I wanted to check this one out. There is a local Best Buy that has one, but the sales people there are not the "best" with details. Do you know anything about this quilted maple SG? Thanks.

Goboyz

Hi RTH,

I'm sorry about the nomenclature confusion. I don't know a lot about SG models. I wanted to check this one out. There is a local Best Buy that has one, but the sales people there are not the "best" with details. Do you know anything about this quilted maple SG? Thanks.

Goboyz

I just picked up an SG Flame top which I'm assuming is basically the same as the quilt top except for, well, the quilt top. I've owned a couple SG-400's and never really bonded with them but this one is different. The neck is very flat and plays wonderfully, feels much like the neck on a DOT. The looks are stunning, very classy. The pups are only so, so.

For $175 used, I'm quite happy with it. It's the only SG I've ever considered actually keeping and not flipping for a little profit.

dsc2424v.jpg

Archived