Gibson Brands Forums

Question about warranty

Bolek

Hi guys,

I absolutely love the Masterbuilts, I have purchased 3 of them in the last year and a half for me and friends. The last one was in late may from Musicians Friend and it is a DR 500MCE Vintage Sunburst....love it.

I was playing on stage in the bluegrass festival circuit this summer and also doing the jams into the night. Last week a friend was jamming with me and said; your guitar looks like it taken a beating this summer. Just the way the light was shining on it the finish looked like the last coat was too heavy. That's not the issue, I looked it over and the back has started to cave in(it is still solid to the touch). It is in the middle right where the seam is, all the way in the back where one of the guitar inputs is located. This was perfectly flat in may when I looked it over after taking it out of the box.

I also noticed that the action was much higher than before, I think the neck might have more than one bend......

I have passed my 45 day MF return policy......

Has anybody ever dealt with warranty issues with Epiphone, I have found out that there is a Authorized Epiphone service center at Sam Ash in King of Prussia Pa.....about 45min from home.

How do I deal with this situation? Do I need to get in touch with Epiphone first? do I just take it to the store and ask them to look at the guitar?

Any answers would be appreciated.

Bolek

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that looks pretty serious caving in, I can tell you that guitar is not going to be repaired but more like replaced if that is what they chose to do ( unless they say that somehow thats your fault but I kind of doubt thats going to happen )I have never seen a guitar after so few months do anything like that before there must have been some issue with the wood they were building the guitar. I suspect the wood was way to wet at the time of build.

Well good luck and do let us know what their thoughts were as to why and how.ship

I have one that seems to be starting also, bought a year ago, Never noticed til Bolek showed me his 2 weeks ago. Saw one in the Guitar Center showroom that was flat in the same area

Hi Bolek!!

I hate to say it, but I'm getting deformation in that same area on the guitar I got in July. What could cause this? Green wood maybe? Let us know what the verdict is Bolek.

Stumbert, how does your top look?

I tried to capture some of the issues on the top with this next picture...

In the dark area where top meets side, top waffles all the way around and also and I saw this on Yaks guitar, you can clearly see the brush stroke from the last coat of varnish...was this on purpose?

Hoping to hear something from Gibson in the next week....

post-35730-018948700 1317256891_thumb.jpg

I got to wonder where it was that you all bought these guitars from and I wonder very much if there might have been some flooding involved, that top doesn't look like that had anything to do with the varnish they put on, if you see how it rippels on top that indicates that there was far to much mositure when that guitar was put together or it was in an area that had far to much mositure around ( IE Flooded area by chance )ship

Stumbert, how does your top look?

I tried to capture some of the issues on the top with this next picture...

In the dark area where top meets side, top waffles all the way around and also and I saw this on Yaks guitar, you can clearly see the brush stroke from the last coat of varnish...was this on purpose?

Hoping to hear something from Gibson in the next week....

The top doesn't seem to have any issues (yet) knock on wood. What I do notice,the back of my guitar seems to have dimples on either side of the center strip, just above the endpin.Not as severe as yours, but they weren't there when it was new. I also got mine from MF.

Dropped off the guitar at a Gibson service center yesterday, lets see what happens. Before i did that I took some pics......

Here's one of them

Wow! That's dramatic. I've never seen anything like that. I hope it works out through warranty. Be sure to post updates.

Ok, I called Sam Ash yesterday and got to talk to the tech who would look at my guitar....he said, yes that guitar is next on my list. While we were talking he did take a look at it, he wasn't concerned about the front issues, however the back is a problem and he was going to see what Gibson will do about it.

So, the guitar sat for 10 days before he looked at it. Hopefully in the next few days I will hear the verdict.. I will post as soon as I hear the news>

While I realize that Sam Ash did not sell you the guitar but 10 days of it sitting on their bench is also unacceptable when in reality all they had to do was look at it and then get a service number from Gibsons and ship it to the main service desk and have them take a look to see what went wrong with the build. It just sucks when you have to get it from both ends the wrong way to have something so obvious as a complete failure and then you have to wait for someone else to make a decision that they were going to have to make anyway, by sending you a new guitar as they certainly are not going to fix that.ship.................its to bad when someone from Gibsons should be alerted to these posts and step in to do the right thing, it should never take this long to have this taken care of for any musician

I got a call from Sam Ash and the guitar tech told me that the guitar is being shipped back to Gibson and he thinks that the will replace it. Of course it's not his call to make.

Now it's more waiting for me, but at least there is some action....maybe 2 to 4 weeks till I hear something from them.

Good thing I have my old 72 Martin to play while I wait..........

I got a call from Sam Ash and the guitar tech told me that the guitar is being shipped back to Gibson and he thinks that the will replace it. Of course it's not his call to make.

Now it's more waiting for me, but at least there is some action....maybe 2 to 4 weeks till I hear something from them.

Good thing I have my old 72 Martin to play while I wait..........

Hang In there Bolek. I pray for the best outcome for you. A new guit is in order IMO. Keep us posted.

Tim

No reply from Gibson....I was put at the end of the line and who knows how long the line is.....

Sam Ash told me expect 2 - 4 weeks...

Any day Now.....

I'll let everyone know the moment I get the word.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally some new info.......I called Gibson two days ago and was told they are replacing my guitar. Yesterday I got an email from them saying it was being shipped and he'll send me the tracking number later in the day......well I didn't get the tracking number yet....

It seems that the guitar sat at Sam Ash for a while before it was shipped to the factory......Gibson said they got it on Nov 8th..

Hoping to see it sometime next week!!!

I'll let you know as soon as I get it.

Archived