Gibson Brands Forums

What pickups??

Apeshit502

Hi everybody!!

I have just bought myself my first Gibson, a Les Paul.

I got it very cheap, and after a few day I found out why!! :(

The electronics fell apart completely, it was glued together the top of the "potmeter" (norwegian word) don`t know the english.

But it`s the electronics for the volume and tone. broken off and just glued back together!!!!

And there were rust... RUST!! what the hell!! =D>

The price you pay for buying used I guess :) But maybe this is how the start of a long beautiful friendship is born?

But any way. I`ve bought all electronics new now, accept for the pickups.

And I wanna know what kind is recommended ??

I`m a bit of an all rounder when it come to styles of music I play.

It`s everything from Megadeth to White stripes.

And from Pantera to Bob Dylan.

Hi everybody!!

I have just bought myself my first Gibson, a Les Paul.

I got it very cheap, and after a few day I found out why!! :(

The electronics fell apart completely, it was glued together the top of the "potmeter" (norwegian word) don`t know the english.

But it`s the electronics for the volume and tone. broken off and just glued back together!!!!

And there were rust... RUST!! what the hell!! =D>

The price you pay for buying used I guess :) But maybe this is how the start of a long beautiful friendship is born?

But any way. I`ve bought all electronics new now, accept for the pickups.

And I wanna know what kind is recommended ??

I`m a bit of an all rounder when it come to styles of music I play.

It`s everything from Megadeth to White stripes.

And from Pantera to Bob Dylan.

wire up 50's style look on google for diagrams

thanks.. but I see there`s been used 500k pots in the 50`s wiring, but I have 300k? will this be an issue?

what pickup has been used? P90`s

hey

use either 300k or 500k. Personally I use 500k for the bridge pickup and 300k for the neck. it brightens up the tone using 500k and if you place a good quality cap between the volume and tone pots of the pickups your tone pot will act as it should do and alter the tone enabling you to turn down to a 300k.

i recommend caps such as sprague orange drops (cheap and 10x more effective than the stock gibson caps) i also have Luxe bumblebees caps (pricey) but orange drops do the job nicely and alot cheaper

check out this site

http://www.blueskillet.com/Gibson_Mods.htm

this is all my personal oppinion but from the stock electronics to all the mods and upgraded components my guitar tone really popped out

Ok.

but will there be consequences for the sound if i use 300k instead of 500k?

And as for bare knuckle, there are no dealers of them in norway. so the price for them would be to much if I was to order them from let`s say uk.

because of stupid norwegian tax laws.

Ok.

but will there be consequences for the sound if i use 300k instead of 500k?

And as for bare knuckle, there are no dealers of them in norway. so the price for them would be to much if I was to order them from let`s say uk.

because of stupid norwegian tax laws.

no it will be fine to use 300k instad of 500k its only preference of tone.

Bareknuckle do P90's that will fit into a humbucker cavity but standard p90's will not fit. What was on the guitar before?

pickups are preference although from your collective genre of music i'd personally whack a Seymour Duncan 59' in the neck and Burstbucker in the Bridge thats if your not going for the P90's

I like my classic rock tone and go for Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pro's

Now there`s 490-R and 498-T

But as I said before.. there`s rust in them.so they need to replaced any who.

so I think I wanna go for Seymor Duncan custom SH-5 bridge, and SH-1`59 in the neck?

But I can't decide :-k :-k :(

Kool i did the exact custom job for a customers epiphone les paul with the same pickups

SH-1 59' is a sweet pickup for the neck couldnt get enough of it. However the SH-5 Custom didnt really have any character IMO but maybe thats because the 59' was so good

hey

use either 300k or 500k. Personally I use 500k for the bridge pickup and 300k for the neck. it brightens up the tone using 500k and if you place a good quality cap between the volume and tone pots of the pickups your tone pot will act as it should do and alter the tone enabling you to turn down to a 300k.

i recommend caps such as sprague orange drops (cheap and 10x more effective than the stock gibson caps) i also have Luxe bumblebees caps (pricey) but orange drops do the job nicely and alot cheaper

check out this site

http://www.blueskillet.com/Gibson_Mods.htm

this is all my personal oppinion but from the stock electronics to all the mods and upgraded components my guitar tone really popped out

If you're going to have a different value volume pot for each pickup, why use the higher value on the bridge which is inherently treble and bright and the lower value on the neck, which is inherently less treble and less bright? The 300k will bleed more treble off the neck.Doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Too much of a contrast in sound with the same amp setting? Please correct me if Im wrong.

If you're going to have a different value volume pot for each pickup, why use the higher value on the bridge which is inherently treble and bright and the lower value on the neck, which is inherently less treble and less bright? The 300k will bleed more treble off the neck.Doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Too much of a contrast in sound with the same amp setting? Please correct me if Im wrong.

in theory yes your right, when i modded my les paul i used a 500k on the neck pup as well but lost the warm deep tone so switched back to the 300k. its down to ear and personal preference. the 500k on the bridge however for lead work custs through the mix like a knife and blends very well when both pickups selected.

Ok.

Can you recommend a different bridge then?

maybe use SH-1 in the bridge too?

hhhhmmmmm

all depends on your preference, I like the classic rock sound so i go for moderate output pups such as the SD APH-1 where you get your gain from your amp

but if your looking for bite and bark you got Gibsons Dirty Fingers and Burtsbuckers.

an inbetween pup will be something like a Gibson 57+

I am rather Bias to APH-1 and APH-2's though, go on Seymour Duncans website and have a browse of their sound clips as a neck pickup is an easy choice to make then the bridge

Archived