Gibson Brands Forums

ES125

G McBride

My local guitar shop owner suggested that I put on a set of heavy strings with a wound third string to keep the integrity of the period guitar in tact. I am thinking that if I want it to play like my other guitars I should use the same EX110 strings like I put on my electrics.

Anyone else use these on a vintage guitar. My 125 is a 1953 model with the single P90.

My local guitar shop owner suggested that I put on a set of heavy strings with a wound third string to keep the integrity of the period guitar in tact. I am thinking that if I want it to play like my other guitars I should use the same EX110 strings like I put on my electrics. Anyone else use these on a vintage guitar. My 125 is a 1953 model with the single P90.

I have my single pickup '66 ES-125T strung with D'Addario 10s, the EXL110W set which comes with a wound third string. Works great. As for the period integrity of the guitar, when it comes to strings, that seems like an over-the-top suggestion.

I have a 64..

Now.. admittedly I do only play jazz and use 13s Chromes (with a 14 replacement)

For ALL styles of music I recommend the heaviest strings you can stand.

So why not try 11s ? In a few months maybe try 12s.

XLs are not overly pricy strings to expirement with (not like Thomastik or Pyramids at least)

the Plain vs Wound 3rd is a different kettle of fish. You arent just talking about heavier but it also affects the feel and more importantly the intonation.

Your guitar bridge is notched for a wound 3rd so the intonation will be off a little on that guy. If that doesnt bother you stay with the plain 3rd.

Let us know how it goes.

Archived