Gibson Brands Forums

College project question

HarveyLowndes

Hello there,

I am a student attending Weston-super-Mare college in England. As part of my course we are required to do an extended project. As part of my project I plan to build a guitar from scratch. I was hoping, as part of research, if anybody could please possibly send some information to help me. I had my eye set on building an SG-X replica with Gibson permission, of course. If you have any CAD models or blue prints you can lend me and permission to do this, please let me know. This is for educational perposes ONLY.

Thank you for your time,

Harvey Lowndes

P.s. I had no clue where-else to put this and this part of the forum seemed best fit.

Hello there,

I am a student attending Weston-super-Mare college in England. As part of my course we are required to do an extended project. As part of my project I plan to build a guitar from scratch. I was hoping, as part of research, if anybody could please possibly send some information to help me. I had my eye set on building an SG-X replica with Gibson permission, of course. If you have any CAD models or blue prints you can lend me and permission to do this, please let me know. This is for educational perposes ONLY.

Thank you for your time,

Harvey Lowndes

P.s. I had no clue where-else to put this and this part of the forum seemed best fit.

Hey welcome im from england too, guitar repairs and learning guitar building

ure barking up the wrong tree here looking for plans, they are closely kept secrets because of all the chinese copies.

However! I was unable to find plans for the SG but i did find them for the Les Paul (below link)

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Plans.html

i have used these before they ar 90% complete you gotta guess the rest but they are the best i have found so far

Hello there,

Thank you for your time,

Harvey Lowndes

It's the SG-X replica part that's the problem. We like to call those counterfeits.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know for sure, but I sincerely doubt that Gibson will give you permission to copy one of their guitars. Just do like hundreds of other people and go for it-

You might want to look into one of those guitar kits as a precursor to building one from scratch.

Good Luck!

Archived