Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning

Texas Jim

Has anyone had this problem and know what to do about it? on my new Limited Edition 50th Anniv. 1960 Les Paul, when checking the tuning there is always a couple strings a little off. When I turn the tuner knob the needle on my tuner moves very little and as I turn it a little more the string seems to snap into place and the needle moves quite a bit. I'm at a loss. Thanks for any help.

Hey Tex!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great guitar.

The problem is completely normal and an easy fix.

Usually caused by a couple of tight slots from the factory. Opening up the slots would be my choice.

Many are able to solve the problem with just a little bit of pencil graphite used as a lubricant.

If you decide to open the slots up a bit be careful. If the action is good with no buzzing at the first couple of frets then the idea is to make the slots slightly wider....NOT DEEPER!

If it is needed on strings 4-6, many people just use an old string like a file.

If it is needed on stings 1-3 (or any of the others) many people use torch tip cleaners. They are good for minor adjustments and can be bought at any welding supply dealer for about $5.

Torch-tip-cleaner.jpg

Willy

Hey Tex!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great guitar.

The problem is completely normal and an easy fix.

Usually caused by a couple of tight slots from the factory. Opening up the slots would be my choice.

Many are able to solve the problem with just a little bit of pencil graphite used as a lubricant.

If you decide to open the slots up a bit be careful. If the action is good with no buzzing at the first couple of frets then the idea is to make the slots slightly wider....NOT DEEPER!

If it is needed on strings 4-6, many people just use an old string like a file.

If it is needed on stings 1-3 (or any of the others) many people use torch tip cleaners. They are good for minor adjustments and can be bought at any welding supply dealer for about $5.

Torch-tip-cleaner.jpg

Willy

Thanks, seems like I've heard about using graphite before. I'll give that a try.

Archived