Gibson Brands Forums

EB vs DR

Trewblue

Been using EB Slinky's 9's for long time and always thought they sounded OK. Thought I'd give DR Pure Blues a try and what a nice surprise. First I put a set of PB 11's on the Dot. Very nice change. Didn't sound so tinny. Next was the mim Strat. Went from EB 9's to DR PB 10's. Sounds alot smoother and still has the twang. Just did the Nighthawk. Went from EB 9's to DR PB 10's. Just sounds better all around. There's absolutely nothing wrong with EB Slinkys. I just found something that I like better.

A lot of new members ask..."what kind of strings should I use?". I think the DR PB's are worth a try. [thumbup]

But those tonal changes you speak of Dan could also be put down to the changes in string guages, have you compared any that have the same guage across brands.

BTW: I use EB Slinky 10s.

I realize that the different gauge could make a tonal difference. I've had EB 10's on the NH and I think the DR with the pure nickel have some affect on the tone. Then again...it could all be in my head!!

I started using the DR Pure Blues strings about a year ago and have had good results with my Strats and with my Epi LP. I've used DR Rare phosphor bronze on my Martin acoustics (HD 28-V and SPD-16K2) for a few years now and always liked them in that application.

Jeff

Archived