Gibson Brands Forums

How to take care of a 1949 J-50?

Colonel Travis

Just inherited a 1949 J-50, can't believe how incredible this guitar sounds. Case is OK but not original, I want to replace it. Not gonna travel with it, don't need something totally indestructible. Any suggestions? I live in Texas (DFW), not typically humid, not gonna keep it in the garage or anything beyond stupid like that - just curious if I should be doing anything out of the ordinary to help a 62-year-old guitar last at least 62 more?

The best thing you can do to preserve an older instrument is PLAY IT, and keep it maintained and adjusted in playing condition (strung up IN TUNE, truss rod adjusted, wiped down every so often, kept in a comfortable environment, etc).

I've got a couple of instruments older than the one you mention, and there is really are no "special" needs.

There are people here that can probably put a number to your question, but the general rule of thumb is that if you are comfortable, so is your guitar.

I live in the mid-west where summers are 100' with high humidity and winters are teens and twenties and dry as a bone, and have personally never humidified (or dehumidified) a guitar. I have instruments that are 50, 60 and 70+ years old, and they leave the house on a regular basis for "work", and have never had a problem.

Opinions differ, and results may vary.

Archived