Gibson Brands Forums

Wax potting gibson les paul deluxe mini humbuckers.

pauloon

Problem=pups squealing like a stuck pig,yep...the nasty feedback.

solution=wax potting?

Problem=been told minis are difficult to pot because the bobbins are ''delicate''..?

Anybody had a similar problem?.

Anybody wax potted mini humbuckers?,if so what was the outcome?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

I have potted a lot of them. The bobbins are a bit delicate but that's not an issue if you don't take the covers off. I usually let them sit in my wax pot for about an hour. This all hinges on have a potting rig there is able to be set at 135F degrees and no more. If you don't have the ability to control the wax temp don't try to pot the pickups.

I have potted a lot of them. The bobbins are a bit delicate but that's not an issue if you don't take the covers off. I usually let them sit in my wax pot for about an hour. This all hinges on have a potting rig there is able to be set at 135F degrees and no more. If you don't have the ability to control the wax temp don't try to pot the pickups.

Thanks for the advice,especially the advice about temperature,

i've found someone in the U.K. who has done 'minis' before,and i'll mention the temperature etc,so all should be well.eusa_pray.gif !!

i'll update the forum on the outcome,and the repair shop (may be of use to those in the U.K.)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a LP Deluxe Goldtop with microphonic pups. Had them wax-potted and that just about sucked the life out of that guitar. You might try to tighten the little screw/slugs by applying some clear nailpolish on the threads to prevent them from vibrating. That might help enough to deal with it.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm hoping i haven't read this too late.......they've been 'potted'......just waiting to get them back......

lap of the gods time.......eusa_pray.gif .

Well, they may come out great for what you're looking for, so don't worry about it too soon. In my case the pups lacked the 'jangle' afterwards.

Please see the les paul page for the result..[biggrin] .....

thanks to everyone for their help.

Archived