Gibson Brands Forums

First ding, scratch or scar -

E-minor7

I was standing on stage (back in the early 70's) holding a Gretsch Country Gentleman. A friend tossed me a closed pocket knife, of course I missed catching it and it dinged the front of guitar. [blink]

About ten years ago, before I had my music room, I practiced wherever was convenient and quiet. I was once practicing whilst sitting on the edge of my bed. At the end of the 'session', I lifted the guitar by the neck, above my head to get the strap over my head to 'dismount' the guitar. Mid-dismount, "KRAA-AAA-AAA-AA-aa-aa-aa-NG!". [scared]

I had lifted my fairly new Yamaha into the path of the spinning ceiling fan blades. It bent the metal bracket holding the blade to the rotor, put a gouge into the leading edge of the fan blade and a fair sized dent between the A and D string tuner. [cursing]

The fan was replaced this summer and the headstock gash is still there. I now dismount the guitar by lifting the strap over my head by grabbing the strap, whilst keeping the headstock low.

About ten years ago, before I had my music room, I practiced wherever was convenient and quiet. I was once practicing whilst sitting on the edge of my bed. At the end of the 'session', I lifted the guitar by the neck, above my head to get the strap over my head to 'dismount' the guitar. Mid-dismount, "KRAA-AAA-AAA-AA-aa-aa-aa-NG!". [scared]

I had lifted my fairly new Yamaha into the path of the spinning ceiling fan blades. It bent the metal bracket holding the blade to the rotor, put a gouge into the leading edge of the fan blade and a fair sized dent between the A and D string tuner. [cursing]

The fan was replaced this summer and the headstock gash is still there. I now dismount the guitar by lifting the strap over my head by grabbing the strap, whilst keeping the headstock low.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this particular problem. I barely missed sticking a D-45 in a fan this way a couple of months ago--still shaking about that one, since it wasn't even my guitar. I did stick the headstock of my "magic" J-45 in a moving fan a few weeks ago, but it emerged relatively unscathed after primarily hitting the ivory headstock binding rather than the wood.

Archived