Gibson Brands Forums

Has epiphone wildkat changed

dkian

I have a 2001 Epi Wildkat. I changed the p90 PU to Lollar 50's wind PU -and It's my all time fav. guitar now. I want to buy another Wildkat. So has the Wildkat spec. changed since 2001? The neck on my Wildkat is almost black (I don't know which kind of wood)All the pics. of the necks on the newer wildkats looks much brighter. Has the type of wood changed on the new wildkats? or is it the same as always? also the bigsby logo says "epiphone"

Thanks

Jan

It's hard to say what may have changed over the last ten years. Mine is an '07 and it still has the "Epiphone" / "E" on the Bigsby; AFAIK the newer models just say "Bigsby".

Mine is the sunrise orange - front, back, neck, the only thing that's black is the face of the headstock. The "LE / Custom Shop" logo on the back of the neck is black on mine, but I've seen pics that show it in gold.

Would they have changed the wood or the neck radius? Again, hard to say. Guess you just have to try one out. I do know that they only come in the trans amber, and now in the Royale white with gold trim.

Curious why you want another - why not try to find an Alleykat with the full-hum / mini-hum combo?

The body specs on the Wildkat are simply "mahogany," --- which can include a variety of different species of wood. My Wildkat is a 2001 Samick, with a Honduras-type mahogany that is unstained with a natural finish. The more recent Wildkats I've seen are made of very light-colored lauan or other Asian "mahogany," and are usually stained dark. Whether these variations translate into tonal differences I can't say.

So why do I want another Wildkat? I will use it as spare guitar on gigs. I only play rockabilly and 50´s rock and roll, and the sound I get from the wildkat and my Reinau Tweed combo is just the best sound I ever had. And I really love the feel of the neck I´ll try to post a pic of my wildkat fingerboard -maybe it´s ebony?

wildkat002.jpg

wildkat004.jpg

wildkat005.jpg

wildkat001.jpg

not the best overall sound -but live my rigs sounds awesome

My link

Archived