Gibson Brands Forums

Android 4

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

Prompted by the iOS5 thread I thought an Android 4 thread was in order, Android 4 beings all the goodies of Android 3 to phones. Resizable widgets, scrolling widgets, application / screen resolution optimization and an all new feature is a built in task and system manager.

Better EXT4 file system support means better integration of SD cards into the Android OS.

Full USB hosting means keyboards, mice, printers, card readers and so on can connected to the USB port, basically anything that a driver is written for.

Google's Chrome browser makes its fiesta appearance un an Android build too.

It's still open source and every manufacturer is still required to make their kernal source available allowing HAL hardware access by apps.

Release is underway!

oh ok, i was confused there. that's pretty cool though, in all seriousness. makes the tablet a lot more usable

USB keyboards (as well as bluetooth keyboards) have worked with iPhone/iPad since iOS 4. You need the 30 pin to USB adapter, but then you can also plug in cameras, some audio interfaces, etc. too.

sorry for the small hijack there.

I dumped my EVO for a Nexus S and what a fantastic phone. I originally had hacked / rooted my EVO to remove the Sprint Bloatware yet the Nexus S does not have the trash in it.

words of wisdom. people contemplating android, take note. :)

Guest farnsbarns

I was involved in hacking the original G1 and gaining root access. I have also hacked every handset since. Got a bit tricky with the Qualcomm memory protection in the desire but Paul from Modaco got there in the end. I have not rooted my desire HD. The only reason for routing the others was to get them reading an ext4 partition on the SD card as part of system memory to get more space for apps. With over a GB for apps on the HD I never bothered. I have had Android running on an iPhone though, very satisfying!

I rooted to use wireless tethering, and to delete the preloaded junk like Amazon MP3.

I prefer my iPhone/iPad for varying reasons, but all things considered, Android isn't a bad OS. Truth be told, I really just can't stand Google.

Archived