Gibson Brands Forums

TRIBUTE BANDS

LPguitarman

Guest farnsbarns

I go to see the Australian Pink Floyd every year, they used to play the Albert Hall but things got going and now they play the o2.

Well, all I can say is WOW!!! [thumbup]

The Journey band (Stone in Love) was really good. More of a very good cover band. They sounded good but it's hard to get all of the looks.

Now the RUSH band(Thunderhead) is a different story. It was like seeing RUSH for free. They looked just like them. Acted just like them on stage, had all the right equipment including AL Axcess Les Paul's, Double Neck EDS-1275 for Xanadu, Hugh's & Kettner stacks, Geddy's Fender Bass, Neils surrounding drum kits with rotating platform. "Alex Lifeson" even had the short blond hair and ALL of the facial expressions. It was uncanny how such great musicians happen to look just like the originals. "Neil" didn't have the exact face but his clothes and demeanor around the drum kit looked exact. "Geddy", what can I say? He looked and sounded exact with the exception that he could hit all of the high notes that the real Geddy can't hit nowadays. So they didn't have to play older songs tuned down or in different keys. So you got the modern looking RUSH with the capability of the older songs which they did. Could have done a few more to my liking and less of the 80's stuff, but they were only on for two hours and had "Way too much material". They even did the acoustic "Resist" after "Neil's" drum solo.

I was surprised they were at this Free venue. They could do tours just like Aussie Pink Floyd does and even better, they look like the original too.

I know it's not the real thing, and I would still say they are just impersonators, but WOW!!! [thumbup]

Watching them...eh, not particularly. Being in one, yeah. I see it as a fun hobby. I'm in a Metallica tribute band called More Beer! (exclamation is part of the name). There is added pressure because people already know the songs so you have to do it well. We have a local following and demand for gigs so that part is certainly fun. Don't really wanna do more than like 3 gigs a year. Rather be known for doing originals. Studio time starts real soon for new project.

Archived