Gibson Brands Forums

Replaced Tuners on my ES125

G McBride

The Tuning Machines on my 1953 ES125 were not working all that well. One had a bent shaft and all of the plastic buttons felt like they were ready to crumble. Tuning the guitar was tuff because the tuners turned hard. Anyway I decided that if I was going to be playing it the tuners should work easily.

I bought a set of WD90NPP Kluson tuners and they were a drop in fit. Didn't even need to change out the bushings as these fit snugly into the bushings. Screw hole were also identical so not new holes. I'll stick the old ones in the case so that if I ever sell her the originals will be there.

I had been playing on a set of 12's and decided that was not working for me. I strung it back up with a set of EXL110W D'Addario and I think I am going to like it much better now. The W indicates a wound third string so that intonation remains close to the same.

Posting this in case anyone else was wondering about a drop in set of tuners for these older ES125 Guitars.

Nice guitar, id like one of those.

Really you should bin any of that rotten plastic because it contains some nasty chemicals, and also will damage the guitar finish further. Check the pickguard and any other plastic parts for the greasy, sticky rotten syndrome.

Really you should bin any of that rotten plastic because it contains some nasty chemicals, and also will damage the guitar finish further. Check the pickguard and any other plastic parts for the greasy, sticky rotten syndrome.

Agreed, keep the originals out of the case. I made a similar swap on my 125T for the same reason. They were obtained through a different vendor & sold by Kluson.

Archived