Gibson Brands Forums

string gauges

Silenced Fred

Most 12ga. factory sets will have a wound third. I DO NOT recommend a wound third if your going to do ANY lead or solo work on this guitar, especially of the string bending nature.

The 12ga. sets with a wound third are gauged to have a wound third, and the 12ga. sets with a plain third are gauged around that plain third. Note the string gauges in the sets noted above. There is a reason for this, BALANCE.

Most 12ga. factory sets will have a wound third. I DO NOT recommend a wound third if your going to do ANY lead or solo work on this guitar, especially of the string bending nature.

The 12ga. sets with a wound third are gauged to have a wound third, and the 12ga. sets with a plain third are gauged around that plain third. Note the string gauges in the sets noted above. There is a reason for this, BALANCE.

I actually like the wound third... most of my stuff is rhythm guitar with me on vocals... most solos, if they contain bending are usually done on the Bigsby now anyways, so no worries from me [thumbup]

Back in the 70's (OK, here I go again), I had a Strat that I setup for strictly rhythm playing with a set of Rotosound guitar strings with a wound third. They were probably light gauge (09), but you might want to look into Rotosound guitar strings, don't know if they are still available.

They sounded real sweet for the rhythm playing I was doing in a jazz/fusion band at the time.

Thomastik-Infeld Flatwound Extra Light Jazz Swing Electric Guitar Strings are designed specifically for semi-acoustic and acoustic jazz guitars.

Gauges: .010 - .014 - .018(Wound) - .023 - .033 - .044

-- just grabbed that one.

I used flats in the '60s for rock band rhythm. Especially after you couldn't hear anything but the beat, they were fine, although nothing I'd play fingerstyle.

I think a lot of folks played with flats in the olden days. <grin>

m

Archived