Gibson Brands Forums

Whats my SG?

grandmaster

I have a G-400 in faded cherry, which is all well and good, but according to its serial number its from 2005, and as far as I know they only started making faded cherry SG's is 2006. [unsure] I may be wrong, but if i'm not, does anyone know what may G-400 is? Many thanks. :)

Pete hit the nail right on the head, as usual! That is indeed a Vintage Faded series G-400 and they are fantastic guitars. I bought mine last year and it quickly became my favourite guitar. A couple of my friends have also played her and love her to death also. I haven't played a regular G-400, but my friend searched for one like mine and tried out a lot of them and wasn't happy with them. But I was lucky to find another one and picked it up for $250 with a hard case for my buddy and when I showed it to him he was speachless and overjoyed when I told him I had picked it up for him. Mine has SD pups in her though and it does make a difference but the stock pups are decent.

Funny thing is that a couple of months ago, I received an email from the guy who sold it to me asking me to let him know if I ever decided to sell it because he would be interested in buying her back. Unfortunately for him, there is no way I will sell her. They don't come up for sale too often and I would highly recommend one to any SG fan. Mine is Faded Brown, as is the one I found for my friend, and if I ever come across a Faded Cherry to have the pair, I won't pass it by.

Congrats on a really nice guitar and I hope you'll like it as much as I do mine!

Here is the original news bulletin from Epiphone on the Vintage G-400 series: http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=144

Hello all. First post here, but I've been lurking for a while and gotten lots of good info. Thanks everyone; great forum.

I'm a newbie player, been at it 2 years or so, and I own one of these Vintage Faded G400s. My first electric, I really like it a lot, and it's been great for learning to play. My question is, how would other owners/players of this guitar describe the neck shape and thickness? It feels like a slightly flattened D shape to me, but having never played another electric, I've got no basis for comparison. I do know the one I have has a flexy feel to it and encourages a light touch or it will pull out of tune easily. I figure that's a good thing as it forces good technique. I've got no plans for anything new in the near future, just wanted to know where this lies on the spectrum of neck shape and thickness for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Archived