Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery Gibson

Sage113

I have a customer who brought this Gibson guitar in with the original case and said it had been refinished from light fire damage. It didn't look like it had been re-touched, but there were no identifying marks on the outside of the guitar. Looking up inside the right F hole I saw the numbers stenciled on the back: 8754 1 in black stencil. I'm uploading some pics. Please let me know what I've got. Thanks for your help folks!

Sage113

post-36836-046701800 1319750273_thumb.jpg

post-36836-084576800 1319750407_thumb.jpg

post-36836-025120400 1319750419_thumb.jpg

Looks like a 1951 ES-140. The finish appears quite good/original in your photos, by the way.

JimR , as usual, I believe you are spot-on !

Finish looks original in the pics to me also. I don,t know where some people come up with their ideas??!?

Rod

I have a customer who brought this Gibson guitar in with the original case and said it had been refinished from light fire damage. It didn't look like it had been re-touched, but there were no identifying marks on the outside of the guitar. Looking up inside the right F hole I saw the numbers stenciled on the back: 8754 1 in black stencil. I'm uploading some pics. Please let me know what I've got. Thanks for your help folks!

Sage113

Perhaps the sunburst looked like a "fire-burst" to them... [lol][lol]

Finish looks original in the pics to me also. I don,t know where some people come up with their ideas??!?

I think what makes people think refin is the WIDE rim paint. This is typical of many post-war sunburst finishes. Gibson must have had a heavy handed painter at the time.

Archived