Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra Problems

Navster

Ok. I just bought a brand new Epiphone Les Paul Ultra from Long & Mcquade for around 600 bucks. I bought it on June 4th (my b-day). Just recently My high E string snapped, so I got it re-strung professional. It looked perfect, better than I could ever do. I went home plugged it in. I played Don't Cry, then I played Sweet Child O' Mine and in the solo, a half-bend the string snapped. I noticed grooving and chips in the Tune-O-Matic. I know for sure that it was not my wear and tear as I barely used it. Also, I heard buzzing for my D string which was coming from the Bridge. I did absolutely no alteration to it ever. Is it possible Long & Mcquade will still replace/fix the bridge, it being almost 5 months since I bought it? Will Epiphone still do it, I have not bought warranty.

I am dissapointed with Epiphone... please make me gain faith in it again...

Sincerely, Navster

Hey, Navster ... welcome to the forum!

The metal-to-metal contact of a string against a standard bridge saddle will cause fatigue in both the string and the groove in the saddle. I agree with Pete that you probably have a burr in that saddle ... either one that developed (the guitar is 6 months old now) or one that was there from the start.

String Saver replacement saddles from Graph Tech are a great (if a little bit pricey) upgrade. In the meantime, check that saddle before replacing the string and carefully file down and sharp edges you may feel with your finger. A simple nail file will do the trick ... but do it slowly and carefully ... just remove the burr!

Good luck!

Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv7WD4tRkM4&feature=player_embedded

Well, there are several reasons for string breakage, although you didn't mention what size string(commonly a .010") or what brand.

You shouldn't need to purchase a warranty for defects to be corrected on a new product. If the dealer doesn't want to honor a sale for defects (or not an authorized seller and/or repair center), then any defect should be covered by Epiphone's Limited Lifetime Warranty (for the original purchaser, from an authorized seller).

If the professional (dealer?) charged you for the first (correction? or just string replacement) they should refund or redo the job until it's done properly, to your satisfaction, within reason (not theirs).

If you took the guitar to someone other than the dealer, and explained the problem, then they should have corrected the problem before installing new strings. At this point, if the installer wasn't the seller/dealer, the responsibility is yours to correct, IMO.

Too many folks have been taking faulty new products to somewhere other than the original dealer/seller.. it's not clear what you did.

Manufacturers and dealers need to be told when they're supplying defective products (and I'm fairly sure they do know that a high percentage of Chinese products are faulty, just acceptable business to them).

Speculation time.. customer doesn't fall for the additional expense of insurance (warranty) on a new product, so they feel remorse that they didn't listen to the seller.. so they take a defective new product to someone else.

A business should stand behind it's new products and as an authorized seller, should be willing to accept that correcting quality issues is their responsibility (and they may even get compensated for it, if they fill out some paperwork).

The T-O-M bridge saddles are a diecast zinc alloy which is too weak to support a thin steel string*. The saddle notch should be a gradual V, but string pressure displaces the zinc saddle material to a point where it becomes a slot-shaped U shape, which is bad because the string is held firmly in a slot, not resting upon the top of the saddle.

* Epiphone and dealers are aware of this issue with T-O-M saddles.

Better quality, more durable/reliable saddles are available for owners who have the skills to replace them. I just got some new saddles today from an eBag seller (bezdez, mentioned here before). I bought some plain ones, and some roller saddles.. 5 sets altogether, so they'll last me for quite a while (I assume).

Regards,

Bill

Ok. I just bought a brand new Epiphone Les Paul Ultra from Long & Mcquade for around 600 bucks. I bought it on June 4th (my b-day). Just recently My high E string snapped, so I got it re-strung professional. It looked perfect, better than I could ever do. I went home plugged it in. I played Don't Cry, then I played Sweet Child O' Mine and in the solo, a half-bend the string snapped. I noticed grooving and chips in the Tune-O-Matic. I know for sure that it was not my wear and tear as I barely used it. Also, I heard buzzing for my D string which was coming from the Bridge. I did absolutely no alteration to it ever. Is it possible Long & Mcquade will still replace/fix the bridge, it being almost 5 months since I bought it? Will Epiphone still do it, I have not bought warranty.

I am dissapointed with Epiphone... please make me gain faith in it again...

Sincerely, Navster

Archived