Gibson Brands Forums

NOAD

The RandyMan

I bit the bullet today and took an old amp to get it fixed. I am fortunate to have a vigilant brother who happened to notice an old guitar amp sitting on the curb during trash day in his neighborhood. Turned out to be a Gibson "Maestro" M-1RVT from the early sixties. Unfortunately, it didn't work at all, despite the fact that it was intact and undamaged. Took it to my favorite small music store to have the amp guy assess it with the intent on having it restored to working order. It's a small amp with two inputs, tremolo, and reverb. Still has the original wooden-cased footswitch. Can't wait to get it back and try it out. Anyone here ever used one of these before?

Never used one of those, but I'm pretty completely addicted to resurrecting old amps. My favorite guitar amp is a 1949 Gibson BR-9, and I'm having a whole lot of fun playing bass through a 1968 Acoustic 361 stack. There's joy in keeping the old equipment working.

See finding an amp in the trash is not the kind of thing that happens in Nashville,

That's probably one of the very few advantages of not living in Nashville. It's like finding the vintage Ferrari in a barn--it ain't gonna happen on the outskirts of Maranello, but in a time-forgotten structure in the suburbs of east Cleveland, a barn door opens and a jaw drops . . . .

Archived