Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to figure out manufacturing year

Guitarnab

Hello,

I've recently inherited my dad's old gibson ES-335TD and now I'm trying to figure out the year it was manufactured.

Ive been looking the .pdf file available here http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

and it seems that 1964 serials are between 176644-199999.

The serial number of my Gibson is 1773XX so, I just wanted to make sure that I've got the year correct? [confused]

That would be a 70's era label. A 60's label would be orange in color and oval in shape.

The Gibson six-digit serial number system of the 60's/70's is a mess. To find the correct year of mfg you must consider many factors.

With this label and serial number, all that can be determined is it was made between 1970 and 1975. Your guitar probably has "Made In The USA" stamped on the back of a "voluted" headstock. These are also 70's features.

I've found the best way to determine an "era" of mfg for these guitars (within one or two years) is using potentiometer codes.

That would be a 70's era label. A 60's label would be orange in color and oval in shape.

The Gibson six-digit serial number system of the 60's/70's is a mess. To find the correct year of mfg you must consider many factors.

With this label and serial number, all that can be determined is it was made between 1970 and 1975. Your guitar probably has "Made In The USA" stamped on the back of a "voluted" headstock. These are also 70's features.

I've found the best way to determine an "era" of mfg for these guitars (within one or two years) is using potentiometer codes.

Ditto. If you can post some pics of the guitar we can perhaps narrow it down a bit for you.

a Purple and Black label;;; 1970 to 1975 for the serial number.. By chance;... a Small volute would start out at around 1970.. on the back of the headstock.. a bigger volute would be mid 70s..

I think Im correct on this.. Still a Nice Guitar.. 335s are popular.. So I would not be to concerned of the Era...

Seen through this f-hole is

the "Norlin" white rectangle

label (with purple and black

triangles), used from 1970

to 1984.

Archived