Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter case

craiguitar

Hi all,

Newbie here...

I have a Jeff Skunk Baxter Elec/Acoustic, and I would like to buy an Epiphone hardcase for it.

Now, the confusion comes when I do an internet search, various websites suggest this model needs a 'Dreadnought' Case.

However I see the Jeff Baxter model more as a 'medium Jumbo', and as far as I can see it is pretty much the same size / shape as an Epiphone PR5-E, which comes with a Medium Jumbo case.

So I wonder if anyone cas shed any light on which case I should go for.

Cheers! [biggrin]

Craig, I'm guessing that your JSB would fit the same case as the PR-E series, but if you could take some measurements and post them here I could compare them to a few similar guitars I have and see which case will fit.

Also, post some pics up, we'd like to see some close-ups of this rare bird.

Brian

Hi, & thanks. I'll post up some pics soon. For the record I didn't think the JSB model was that rare?? I have looked after it, and it is stock, apart from the nut which I replaced when the old one broke. Anyway, The Dims for my guitar are on the link you just posted, although I don't know if the dims for the PR-E series are the same, but it's fair to say that on the face of it the two instruments look very similar. I just want to be sure before I push the button on a case.

I'm not so sure the Jeff Baxter guitar will fit in a normal PR-E case. These are quite a bit deeper than the PR-E series.. Thats probably why they reccomend a dreadnought case. Although they look almost identical from the front, the PR-E is a thinline. The Jeff Baxters are full depth.

I'm not so sure the Jeff Baxter guitar will fit in a normal PR-E case. These are quite a bit deeper than the PR-E series.. Thats probably why they reccomend a dreadnought case. Although they look almost identical from the front, the PR-E is a thinline. The Jeff Baxters are full depth.

Thanks, That does seem to make sense. So it's the depth that is the issue. [rolleyes]

So do you think the dreadnought case would technically be too big for my JSB?

Yeah, I think the body depth is the deal-breaker. I just compared it to my Es-175, Zephyr Blues and Emperor, and while the scale length and lower bout width are simlar, none of them are even close to 4.6" deep.

So it looks like acoustic guitar cases are the only option.

Nice looking guitar BTW.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I am looking to replace the tuners on this guitar. They are worn.

According to the offical blurb the tuners are Gotoh's although there is no marking on them. The pegs look a lot like schaller shaped pegs to me. Anyway Does anybody know if I could simply replace them with Gotoh rotomatics (the kidney bean shaped locking ones) without having to do any drilling etc?

Thanks!

And the depth of the guitar is roughly 11cm (or 4 and a bit inches in old money I guess this is the measurement that counts.

S6300861.jpg

Archived