Gibson Brands Forums

ever wondered what you could do with 30 frets?...

S t e v e

Play really high notes?

[lol]

In answer to the original question; No. I'd never wondered as there seemed to be no point : 'there being no 30-fret guitars on the market'.

#-o Wrong!

Whilst it's obviously going to be very interesting for those who love to shred I think it would be a pity if more mainstream guitarists didn't try it out to see where it might lead their powers of composition.

My first thought on seeing Farns' post was '..or the same mid-range crap on thicker strings..' but a second or two later it struck me that that's exactly what it would enable players to do; clearly, because the compass of the guitar has been expanded, it will open up a whole different area of the fretboard - all across the 'board in the upper reaches - for a slightly new approach to composition and things will now be possible - and not just for the shredders - that, previously, were either not feasable or not practical.

After all, if we consider some of the past master virtuosi on other instruments we find no shortage of those wishing to utilise the highest notes whether it's Liszt, Paganini or, as far as the human voice is concerned, anyone who ever wrote an Opera...

It seems a reasonably good idea. Not for myself, perhaps...

I'd bet Matt Sear could come up with a new work - something 'tangential', perhaps - to show just how interesting the concept can be!

The only thing that I found less than convincing was the claim that the fancy 'neck p-up' simulation was much different from...well, from every other tone he got from the guitar regardless of the position of the selector switch. It all just sounded high-gainy. He can play, though (Stating the Bloody Obvious)...

P.

Archived