Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Standard "Sparkle" Custom Shop - true or false?

panamax

Hi !

I came across a very special Gibson Les Paul Standard in "Green to Gold Sparkle" finish, made at the wonderful Custom Shop.

The guitar had a small "Gibson Customshop" decal on the back of the headstock, and serialnumber CS770XX.

The seller which I spoke to regarding this said that they are made in very limited ammounts.

Is this a true or false?

I have pictures - would a person in the Custom Shop dept. be kind enough to answear this one?

Cheers ! :-k

that number brings up 3 guitars: a 2-pickup '57 black beauty reissue and a '57 goldtop reissue' date=' both from 1996; and a '57 goldtop reissue from 2006.[/quote']

Could you tell me anything about the Goldtop 57?

Is it normal that different models sometimes share the same SN#?

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

I bumped into two really nice LP Custom Shop Sparkle tops, I wanted to purchase one but was wondering if this serials were legitimate on both. One is a 2008 LP Custom Shop Sparkle/Glitter Burst sunburst top, serial is CS77084 and the other is 2007 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Sparkle Stinger, serial CS77082.

Is one a Custom, Custom Shop (serial CS77082), and the other one is just a Custom Shop (CS77084) ?

Reason I am asking is because one has 3 lines on the outter shape of the guitar and one doesnt.

Thanks

Here is serial CS77082

068.jpg

Here is serial CS77084

sparklelpcs11.jpg

Both Real?

I bumped into two really nice LP Custom Shop Sparkle tops' date=' I wanted to purchase one but was wondering if this serials were legitimate on both. One is a 2008 LP Custom Shop Sparkle/Glitter Burst sunburst top, serial is CS77084 and the other is 2007 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Sparkle Stinger, serial CS77082.

Is one a Custom, Custom Shop (serial CS77082), and the other one is just a Custom Shop (CS77084) ?

Reason I am asking is because one has 3 lines on the outter shape of the guitar and one doesnt.

Thanks

Here is serial CS77082

[img']http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee115/cwh1/Gibson%20LP%20Custom%20Sparkle/068.jpg[/img]

Here is serial CS77084

sparklelpcs11.jpg

Both Real?

They are both real. One (the first pic) is a CS LP Custom w/Sparkle finish, and the second pic is a CS LP Standard w/Sparkle finish. The close serial #s mean that they were manufactured in series.

• 1 year later...

Chaps,

have come across a seemingly oldish Les Paul custom shop silver sparkle top serial number 9 5334 or 5 9334 (from memory)

Very slim neck for a LP, and quite light - perhaps chambered - but a very nice guitar - tuners have been replaced and not in great shape but am tempted..

Valid serial? rough price estimate?

many thanks,

Mark

If you have a picture you can email me, I'll do my best to ID it and get its story for you. The full serial number would help too. It doesn't ring a bell off hand....My name's Kevin Van Pamel. I work at the Custom Shop and see or hear of most things that make their way out of our doors.

• 5 weeks later...

I was wondering if one of the CS guys here could help me find some info on a guitar that I checked out yesterday. The serial # is CS81794. It was a 3 p/u, LP Custom with a green sparkle top.

I was curious because I've never seen a 3 p/u sparkle model. It had all gold hardware, but the jackplate had a black plastic square mount. I was also curious about the finish. On the top, I could feel a ridge where the binding met the sparkle (the sparkle was higher). Also, when I ran my hand over the top, I could feel the slight texture of the sparkle. Is this common? The whole guitar seemed to have a really light nitro finish, not heavy AT ALL. Body back, sides and neck, all black.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I can tell you that it was made in 2008. As for the finish; we still use a hand spray technique so thickness changes slightly from one guitar to another. We also receive requests for thinner finishes from some of our Customers as there is a contingent that prefer its look and feel. The guitar could have been a custom order or the sprayer chose to apply a thin finish. The ridge near the binding might be explained by the light finish as well. Typically finish and binding are flush....

Thanks Kevin, I was curious if the 3 p/u's were stock or an afterthought. ?

Also, do you know if these had a gold jack or was the black plastic one stock? The seller said everything was how it was out of the box. Also, the serial # was white paint, stamped, but not real clean and clear.

What did the Custom Shop decals look like on these in that year. This one was pretty small.

Thanks.

The guitar left the Shop as a 3 pu. I can't speak for the input jack material. We don't often keep that level of detail on file but either could have been stock. Smaller specs can be a bench decision one it comes to a limited run or one-of guitar. I'm also hard pressed to remember the specific size of decal but I'm fairly certain we were still using the Custom "script and banner" logo (Gold, cursive script with tattoo-like banner) and had not transitioned to the Red Star yet.

• 5 months later...

the one from 1996 shipped to japan; the one from 2006 shipped to a dealer here in tennessee.

Hallo, I hope this is the right way to came into contact!?

I bought a LP sunburst sparkle with P 90 PU last week, the number is CS 77089. I would like to know as much as possible about it, The finish is thin like discribed before. What does "hand made" mean? How much of this version was produced? I love it - the sound is like 69 woodstock: from The Who to Carlos Santana to Joe Cocker - Sympathy for the devil is even cool... The finish is not so "poppy" more like a friendly warm sun on a fresh morning.

Thanks a lot, hope I had not made to much mistakes - poor old school english - sorry!

With best greetings from germany.

Tommyguitar

• 11 months later...

If you have a picture you can email me, I'll do my best to ID it and get its story for you. The full serial number would help too. It doesn't ring a bell off hand....My name's Kevin Van Pamel. I work at the Custom Shop and see or hear of most things that make their way out of our doors.

Welcome to the forum Kevin! Your name was mentioned earlier this week in a phone call when we were discussing one-offs and how you could remember so many of them. Glad to see someone from Custom making an active presence here again. Hope to see you again this summer if not before.

Dan

(I run the chambered-reissue site and the Johnny A. registry)

Archived