Gibson Brands Forums

is this genuine?

Bretty

Hi All,

I have just bought a Ace Frehley Signature Les Paul Guitar with the serial number 02005559 just wondering if it is legitimate. It looks fantastic and in great condition but looks can be deceiving!

Any helps appreciated!

Thanks

brett

What does it look like? Can you post a picture please.

I guess it's one of the last signature series.

Anyway, the serial looks legit and a serial# checkup yields this:

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

July 19th, 2005

Production Number: 259

Does it look like the one in this auction, s/n 02005560? The photos show that is almost certain that the one in this link is fake. Nice looking though.

Guitar factory Ace

It blows me away that people will consider buying obvious fakes. Do the still believe in the free-lunch fairy, or the $500 Super 400? On the other hand, if you aren't experienced, I supppose you can get sucked in.

Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. At least the seller in this ad doesn't claim they are real Gibsons, and doesn't show the front of the headstock. The "made in USA" label, however, is criminal in my book.

There are plenty of fakes listed on that site (and eBay, Craigslist, etc. as well) that have the exact same serial number and also show the Gibson name on the headstock. I posted the link because it is one digit away from the serial number in the original poster's question. Sometimes it is better to see what a a fake looks like and then compare it to what you are thinking of buying for educational reasons. It was posted as a link because the photos are copywrited and can not be posted here. These fake guitars and the importing and selling of them are illegal in this country BUT the country in which there are being sold does not recognize our trademark or copywrite laws and they are legal there. The link is not intended to promote the purchase of those guitars but educate those that may be considering a "too good to be true" purchase. Those fakes that are obvious to us on this forum may not be that obvious to someone else that is just getting into guitars. We don't want those folks to get sucked in or bring those fakes to our country. Just as soon as Gibson asks the government in those countries to shut down those sellers, they pop up under another name or location.

• 1 month later...

Archived