Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone got a PacRim (Eastman, Recording King, etc.) guitar?

Lee M

I have a 1993 Gibson Gospel which I like a lot. On other forums, I read raves about Eastman, Blueridge, Recording King, etc., and wonder what I'm missing by not owning one. I'm not willing to spend a couple thousand on another Gibson or a Martin or Taylor, but having never played one the Chinese imports (not counting my Chinese Takamine), I can't help be curious if these guitars are all they are cracked up to be. Anyone here own or play one of the moderately priced versions (say $600 or less) of the above makes? And did you think it was a good guitar or just a good guitar for the money?

I recently purchased a used BlueRidge. Sweet guitar. Lots of volumn, very playable. Had one around 2001-2002 that developed a crack within a very short time. Since then, BlueRidge (and others) have solved many of the problems that plauged them, and this one is pretty cool. It's not a high-end guitar by any stretch, but is is a nice guitar and definitly useable at gigs. I've played several Eastmans over the last 4-5 months at Mass St. Music in Lawrence, Ks. They're reasonably priced and nice guitars. I don't see them as any better than the BlueRidge, Epi, or other competitors. Eastman is the flavor of the month for now. Again, nice guitars, but hype is hype. BlueRidge was the hyped guitar not too long ago. I think that the Pacific Rim (Asian, Chinese, Korean, etc) guitars have improved greatly in the last dozen years or so. I've got a Rogue that I paid $59 for (Musician's Friend brand)and for a plywood guitar, it's great. Not a Hummingbird, but I wouldn't expect it to be.........Basically, I think the Pacific Rim instruments are pretty decent. At the very least, they have come a long way in quality. [biggrin]

I read many rave reviews about Eastmans....particularly their archtops

My everyday acoustic is a 16" archtop Eastman, which looks and feels high quality and is all-carved for a great price

I was tempted their way by rave reviews also of their mandolins

And the knowledge that they come from a quality violin etc mfg background....

V

:-({|=

PS I also have an 'El Rey' carved small body enclosed hollow electric, which is a very unusual quality jazz guitar....

Sorry for the double post. It was taking so long for this one to show up (more than 2 minutes), I closed the tab and reposted several minutes later. I didn't realize this post had made it.

Please put any response in the other thread on the same subject. Thanks.

Archived