Gibson Brands Forums

Who bought my little CJ165??

Buc McMaster

I sent Jimmy a note of thanks for the Hummingbird deal and he said someone from the Gibson forum already bought the little 165 I traded in......that was quick! It is still a nice little guitar, I just wanted something mahogany and bigger!

I must confess-- I'm the one who bought your CJ165! For the past year or so, i've been checking with Southpaw to see if they had any rosewood 165s, and they never have (at least when I called). In the meantime, I've tried out different small guitars (at different shops), and had talked to Larry (at Southpaw) just last week about an OM28v, and he suggested I consider an 814ce as well. I was pondering those guitars, when i happened to read your post about having traded in your '165, and excitedly called to ask about it. Jim gave it the thumbs up, so I bought it! I can't wait to receive the guitar and start playing it. I'm sure it will play and sound great. And rest assured I will (at least try to) give it a good home.

As for your Hummingbird, it looks absolutely incredible! There is no better looking guitar than a Hummingbird. I've only played one, a few months ago, and it sounded awesome.

Very cool! You were just layin' up in the weeds waiting for one to wander along.........

It's a fine little guitar. I bought it new at Fuller's last year (took a bath on the trade in of my SJ200WC in doing so!). The nut is still the original bone; the saddle is E.I. from Colosi (fitted by myself); I changed the machine heads to ivoroid button Waverlys (the original Grover Mini Rotomatics were in the case with the trade to Jimmy), the original pickguard was removed (again, in the case with waxed paper backing for reapplication if you like); the factory pickup was removed (I sent Jimmy the same model pickup I pulled out of the Hummingbird - he may or may not reinstall it but he said he wanted it, guess that would be up to you now). It was the first short scale acoustic guitar I've owned in many years and I really enjoyed it.......hope you do too!!

Here's a back porch photo I took shortly after I bought it..........just to help ease the pain of the wait.........

You lefty's are freakin me out man. I'm left handed, but learned to play righty, and those pickguards mounted on the wrong side just keep throwin me off. That is a nice lookin guitar. I might be kinda jealous

B) [laugh] [laugh] [biggrin]

Very cool! You were just layin' up in the weeds waiting for one to wander along.........

It's a fine little guitar. I bought it new at Fuller's last year (took a bath on the trade in of my SJ200WC in doing so!). The nut is still the original bone; the saddle is E.I. from Colosi (fitted by myself); I changed the machine heads to ivoroid button Waverlys (the original Grover Mini Rotomatics were in the case with the trade to Jimmy), the original pickguard was removed (again, in the case with waxed paper backing for reapplication if you like); the factory pickup was removed (I sent Jimmy the same model pickup I pulled out of the Hummingbird - he may or may not reinstall it but he said he wanted it, guess that would be up to you now). It was the first short scale acoustic guitar I've owned in many years and I really enjoyed it.......hope you do too!!

Here's a back porch photo I took shortly after I bought it..........just to help ease the pain of the wait.........

Thanks for the photo-- the guitar looks fantastic! Sounds like you treated the guitar right, and made some nice upgrades to it! I'm sure the guitar and I will get along very well together. Anyway, I'll give you a report after i receive it...

Archived