Gibson Brands Forums

mildew smell in old archtop and where do i get a case for it

orpheoet

Hi, I just received the 67 barney kessel I mentioned last week. I love it(of course). It smell fairly strongly of mildew, any solutions? Also and probably more importantly I need a case for it. Gibson is no help, I tried. Does anyone know if someone makes a case that will work for this? 17 inch lower bout.

Hi, I just received the 67 barney kessel I mentioned last week. I love it(of course). It smell fairly strongly of mildew, any solutions? Also and probably more importantly I need a case for it. Gibson is no help, I tried. Does anyone know if someone makes a case that will work for this? 17 inch lower bout.

Glad you got your Kessel. [thumbup] Now we need to hear more about it, and of course we'll need to see some photos!

So, it came without a case, or do you just need a better case? Is the guitar pretty cleaned up, polished, etc? If it's smelling mildewy inside the body, I'm not sure what you should do about that, other than trying to air it out or carefully try to remove any dust that's in there. I like an old archtop to have that vintage archtop smell, but I can't say I've ever had one that smelled like mildew...

Larry's idea sounds great for a new case. If it were mine, I'd probably begin by trying to find a period-correct vintage case, probably on ebay or gbase. Although Kessels are 3/8" shallower than most Gibson 17" archtops, an L5 case or any of their cases designed for 17" guitars should work fine. If you get one, you could just put a towel or soft cloth in there to stabilize it a bit (I do that with most of my guitars anyway).

The smell seems to be mostly in the case. The TKL 8820 should fit it. Its a great guitar that some hack sanded and topcoated. You can see where they sanded out some runs on the back and the red has bled into the binding a bit. I dont really care though, it sounds amazing. I got to know it with a Kesselesque Cry Me a River...it's a keeper for sure. Awesome pickups. The action is a little high and the tunomatic style bridge is as low as it goes. I'll probably put a wood one on it and file the bottom a bit so I can get it a little lower. Heres a pic with my 175

One solution:

you know those little packets of "Dessicant" that come in most every product you buy like electronics, shoes, kitchen gadgets, and who knows what else??

throw one of those baggies inside through the F hole (or inside the case) and see if it absorbs the odor. Remove it in two weeks and replace it with another one for two more weeks. "Dessicant" means "Dryer", it absorbs moisture and its odors too. I use those baggies in my antique car under the seats to remove musty/mildew carpeting odors, they work great! Don't throw them away unless you used them to remove odors.

PS: if using the baggie inside the case, do not put the guitar directly on the dessicant baggie, keep it away from the guitar's finish. That is one beauty of a Kessel.

Merry Christmas! [biggrin]

post-26212-054416900 1324431165_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived